Aggies top LSU 55-48 in Sunday contest at Reed

No. 9 Texas A&M women’s basketball improves to 15-3 on the season and 3-1 in SEC play with a 55-48 victory over LSU on Sunday afternoon at Reed Arena.
Jordan Jones scored a team-leading 12 points as well as an assist to Curtyce Knox off an Achiri Ade steal.
The Knox layup, good for two of her career-high 10 points put the Aggies ahead 52-48. Both Jones and Achiri would add free throws to the score before the 55-48 final.
Six of Knox’s 10 points came by way of the three-point shot.
“It’s just about having the confidence to shoot the three” Knox said. “I know early in this season we haven’t been consistent with our three-point shot. We’ve been working on it in practice. And I think it’s really paid off in the game.”
“We’ve been waiting for a while” said A&M head coach Gary Blair. “[Knox} hadn’t hit a 3 pointer I think since the first game of the year. And I kept telling her against that pack ten zone when we rotate the basketball you have to take the shoot. You’ve got to have confidence. And I thought the kid responded and did a good in there. Give her credit.”
With 13 rebounds, Ade has now grabbed 10+ boards in seven games this season and is averaging 12.3 per game during SEC play.
“As usual just finding the body and boxing out” Ade said on her rebounding. “That’s the main key. We were struggling with shooting so my main thing was there was going to be long rebounds because we were shooting from outside. So trying to get from under the rim and trying to get outside so I could get the rebounds that go along.”
Both teams had 18 turnovers in the contest. Akilah Bethel led Tigers scoring with 13 on 3-of-6 shooting. With the loss, LSU falls to 8-8 on the season, 2-2 in SEC play.
A&M will host Ole Miss on January 18th at 4 p.m. The Sunday afternoon match is set to air on SEC Network.
quotes provided by 12thman.com