Aggies travel to Tennessee riding a seven-game win streak

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

Junior Allonte Wingate had one RBI in his four at-bats.

The No. 16 Texas A&M baseball team looks to build on their seven-game win streak as they take on Southeastern Conference opponent Tennessee this weekend in a three-game road series. This is the first meeting of the two teams in Tennessee since 2015, when the Aggies won all three games of the series.
The Aggies are 28-9 on the season (8-7 SEC) after a 7-5 win over the Texas State Bobcats on Tuesday. Tennessee has a 22-17 season record with a 5-10 SEC record, and is coming off of four straight road games, including three losses to LSU. On Tuesday, the Volunteers topped East Tennessee State University 6-2.
The Aggies barely escaped Blue Bell Park with the win on Tuesday after a back-and-forth battle against the Bobcats. The game was tied at 5-5 at the top of the seventh inning, but a Hunter Coleman triple allowed Braden Shewmake to score and give the Aggies the lead going into the eighth inning.
“It was a back-and-forth heavyweight fight,” head coach Rob Childress told 12thman.com on Tuesday. “They had a lot of punches tonight, from the first round on.”
Coleman led the Aggie offense on the night with three hits on four at-bats, two RBIs, a double, and a triple. Shewmake added two runs scored and had two hits on his two at-bats.
Texas A&M used seven pitchers throughout the game. Pitcher Cason Sherrod earned the win for the Aggies, pitching 2.2 innings and allowing three hits and giving up one run. The senior also struck out two of the batters he faced.
Texas A&M goes into Friday’s match-up on a seven-game winning streak, and currently leads the SEC with a 2.82 ERA. The first pitch is set for 5:30 p.m. at Lindsey Nelson Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee.