Aggies travel to the Sunshine State to face top-notch talent

Photo by Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

A week after finishing second at the Schooner Fall Classic in Norman, Oklahoma, the Texas A&M women’s golf team will travel to Florida for the Annika Intercollegiate tournament presented by 3M.

Named after former LPGA star Annika Sorenstam – ten-time major championship winner and the third-winningest women’s professional golfer in history – the tournament will be played at Reunion Resort in Orlando and features some of the best Division I teams college golf has to offer.

This year’s batch of competition includes A&M as well as teams from Washington, Southern Cal, UCLA, Duke, Arizona, South Carolina, LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee, Stanford and Central Florida.

The 54-hole stroke play event will tee off on Sunday, Sept. 27 and will conclude on Tuesday, Sept. 29.

Though the Aggies will face more competition this weekend than last, they have plenty of things to build on from last week’s success, most notably a junior class that is brimming with talent.

The junior duo consisting of Thanya Pattamakijsakul and Andrea Jonama turned in low scores in the Schooner Classic. Both shot four-under par for the tournament and finished in a tie for sixth place individually, seven strokes behind the winner.

After last weekend’s exploits, A&M’s current junior class is now responsible for each of the top seven best single-round scores in school history.

“I am so proud of how we performed and kept it going,” A&M head coach Trelle McCombs told 12thman.com after the final round of the Schooner Classic. “I’m very excited about this group of ladies and look for them to do some special things this season.”
Facing off against some of the best teams in the country will surely be a test for the Aggies, and it will be interesting to see how they respond.