The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Aggies travel to West Virginia to take on No. 18 Mountaineers

Photo by: Morgan Engel

Sophomore Guard Admon Gilder plays defense. Gilder has a team leading 31 steals this season. 

The Texas A&M basketball team hits the road to take on the No. 18 West Virginia Mountaineers in a non-conference matchup on Saturday in Morgantown.

After taking down Ole Miss on the road for its second-straight conference win, A&M (11-8, 3-5 SEC) will look to keep momentum going against West Virginia. After their win on Wednesday, the Aggies have moved into a three-way tie for ninth place with Auburn, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

Four Aggies lead the team on offense — big man sophomore Tyler Davis (13.7), sophomore forward D.J. Hogg (13.1), sophomore guard Admon Gilder (12.5) and freshman guard Robert Williams (11.2) all averaging double-digits points. Davis is the team’s leading rebounder averaging 6.8 boards per game.

The Aggies will look to Gilder, Davis, and Williams for more offense when they face the Mountaineers. The trio lead the team to its first road win over the Rebels, scoring 22, 20 and 15 points, respectively.

The Mountaineers (16-4, 5-3 Big 12) will continue to defend its home court after a big 85-69 victory over No. 2 Kansas on Tuesday night, thanks to sophomore forward Esa Ahmed. After a win over Kansas, West Virginia moved to 12-3 at home and is tied for third place in the Big 12 with Iowa State.

Ahmed, the team’s offensive leader, dropped 27 points on Tuesday night against the Jayhawks. On the season, he’s averaging 12.1 points per game and is shooting .333% percent from behind the three-point line.

Junior guard Jevon Carter is second on the team in scoring at 11.9 points-per-contest. Forward Nathan Adrian cleans up the glass for the Mountaineers — averaging 6.4 rebounds per game.
Tip-off is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. and will be broadcast nationally on ESPN as part of the SEC/Big 12 Challenge. The game can be heard locally on TAMUSN.