Aggies tussle with Tigers in Top 25 bout

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Sophomore Trinity Harrington winds up to pitch.

The Texas A&M softball team will travel to Columbia, Missouri for its sixth SEC series of the year this weekend.

The No. 16 Aggies improved their record to 33-11 (6-9 SEC) with an 18-4 win over Sam Houston State on Wednesday. The Missouri Tigers are ranked No. 12 in the nation and own a record of 31-12 (6-9 SEC) after sweeping a doubleheader with Iowa on Tuesday.

“It’s good to get some momentum going into Missouri,” head coach Jo Evans said. “They’re a tough ball club, everyone is tough at home so we have to go and play well on the road. We need to feel good about ourselves, our pitchers have had some really good innings the last couple of games, so I’ve been pleased with that. It’s what we needed to get comfortable going to Missouri and play against a really good hitting ball club.”

In the last two games, the Aggies have totaled 32 runs on 28 hits. Freshman Kaitlyn Alderink, junior April Ryan and freshman Riley Sartain led the offense for the Aggies in the games against Alabama and Sam Houston State.

Alderink went 5-6 with four runs scored and six RBIs, Ryan went 6-7 with four runs scored and five RBIs and Sartain went 4-5 with three runs scored and five RBIs in the two-game span.

“I don’t remember a stretch where we’ve had 32 runs in two games,” Evans said. “I’m pleased to see us get hot and it’s going to be really important, especially as we’re heading out on the road, we really need to have some success at Missouri, so I’m glad to have our kids feeling good at the plate.”

The No. 12 Missouri Tigers lost two out of three in their last SEC series on the road against No. 11 Kentucky. The Tigers are led offensively by senior outfielder Emily Crane and senior shortstop Sami Fagan. Crane is hitting at a .407 clip with 15 home runs and 51 RBIs and Fagan is hitting .429 with 10 home runs and 43 RBIs.

“We’re just attacking and going for the sweep,” senior Cali Lanphear said. “Getting three wins would be huge for us in setting us up to host a regional and we really want to strive for that.”
The three-game series will start on Saturday in Columbia, Missouri. First pitch is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.