Aggies walk off the Ladyjacks with 15th inning homer

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Junior Kelly Martinez celebrates after getting the game winning hit to end the Aggies’ 15-inning game against SFA.

On Wednesday, the Texas A&M softball team defeated Stephen F. Austin 2-0, in 15 innings. This game marks the longest one in Texas A&M history since March 4, 1994, when the Aggies defeated the McNeese State Cowgirls, 3-2, in 15 innings.
Sophomore Kayla Poynter and junior Kendall Potts combined to pitch the Aggies fifth shutout of the season. Poynter threw the first six innings of the matchup, only allowing five hits and two walks. Potts finished the match and earned a career-high nine strikeouts, while only giving up four hits in nine innings.
The Ladyjacks’ Ashley Kriesel started the game, throwing the first 4.1 innings of the match while giving up two hits and five walks. Kassidy Wilbur finished the match and gave up seven hits, two runs and four walks.
Freshman Kayla Garcia earned her first career start for the Aggies. Also noteworthy was junior Kelly Martinez, who hit her third two-run homer of the season. Martinez was also one of the top offensive players of the match, along with freshman Baylee Klingler.
Aggie head coach Jo Evans is especially proud of Martinez and Garcia.
“I am proud of [Martinez] for staying in there, fighting and getting up there to get a hit.” Evans said to 12thman.com “Tip your hat to Kayla Garcia. She got her first start tonight… I am really proud of both of them”
The Aggies will host Alabama in a three-game series at Davis Diamond. Game one is scheduled for a 6:00 p.m. start on Friday, while Saturday and Sunday’s matches are scheduled for 2 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively. The games will be available for viewing on SEC Network +. You can also tune in via radio on 1550 AM.