Aggies win 100-58 in matchup against Southeastern Louisiana Monday

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Men’s Basketball vs SE Louisiana

For the first time since 1990, Texas A&M basketball racked up at least 100 points in back-to-back games.

The Aggies (2-0) kept up the pace in their second regular season game against Southeastern Louisiana in a 100-58 blowout Monday night at Reed Arena.

Senior shooting guard Danuel House led all scorers with 20 points, and A&M had four others in double figures including freshmen DJ Hogg, Admon Gilder and Tyler Davis along with Tonny Trocha-Morelos. A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said he liked what he saw from his players throughout the roster, particularly from freshman center Tyler Davis.

“[I liked] the 12 rebounds and also how unselfish [Davis] is,” Kennedy said. “As good as he is offensively, he really passes the ball and looks for his teammates. He’s a good team guy as well as an individual player and he’s going to continue to get better.”

The Aggies struggled out of the gate against the Lions and held only a one point lead after four and a half minutes before a 7-0 run gave them new life. After that, A&M led by as much as 24 in the first half. Overall, the Aggies shot 54 percent from the field and 56 percent from downtown. One of the main providers of that spark was House, who led in scoring last year in almost every contest. House said this contrasts because his cast supports the offense much more effectively.

“It’s fun, it makes the game a lot easier because everyone can’t just focus in on [me],” House said. “They have to respect Tyler’s post presence, Tonny’s post presence, D.J.’s shooting ability, and they have to respect Caruso’s ability to shoot and drive the ball.”

The Aggie big men had another solid game on the glass, pulling down 49 boards and dominating the paint for all 40 minutes. The Aggie front court held SLU to 26 rebounds and 18 points in the paint. Davis tallied the most rebounds on the team with 12, notching his first double-double in an Aggie jersey.
“Rebounding is key for me,” Davis said. “Before games I tell myself just to focus on rebounding and getting stops on the defensive end. Scoring is going to come because my teammates make it easy for me.”
Before the matchup, Texas A&M announced via press release that sophomore point guard Alex Robinson is leaving the team and seeking a transfer. Moving forward, the Aggies will host A&M-Corpus Christi Thursday night at Reed Arena. A&M will continue to sit out Jalen Jones for the next two games.