Aggie’s women tennis shuts out Mizzou 7-0

Photo by Connor May
Junior Jeanette Mireles returns the ball at Texas A&M’s match against Kentucky at the Outdoor Mitchell Tennis Center on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Connor May/The Battalion)

The No. 11 Texas A&M women’s tennis made it a clean sweep over Missouri, showcasing its dominance on route to a 7-0 victory on Friday, April 5 at Mizzou Tennis Complex.

The No. 5 partnership of junior Mary Stoiana and sophomore Mia Kupres continued its strong performance with a 6-3 win over the No. 65 pair of sisters, junior Inah Canete and senior Mae Canete.

Fifth year Sidney Fitch and sophomore Daria Smetannikov secured the doubles point for the Aggies by finishing sophomore Andria Artimedi and graduate Emelie Schwarte, 6-2.

No. 1 Stoiana continued to solidify her claim over the top spot, securing a dominant 6-1, 6-0 win against Mae Canete. Her partner, No. 38 Kupres, made the Maroon and White one point away from victory after defeating Inah Cante in a similar fashion, 6-1, 6-2. Freshman Lucciana Perez quickly clinched the win for A&M, besting Schwarte 6-4, 6-0.

Play continued on with junior Jeanette Mireles beating senior Romary Cardenas Rifka 6-1, 6-1 to make it 5-0 for the Aggies. Junior Ellie Pittman completely overwhelmed junior Sophia McLellen, never losing a game to take the 6-0, 6-0 match victory.

The Maroon and White finally lost a set in the last match of the day with Smetannikov winning in the tiebreaker against Artimedi 7-5, 2-6 1-0(3)

The Aggies head to Fayetteville, Arkansas to face off against the Arkansas Razorbacks in the final SEC road match of the season at Billingsley Tennis Center on Sunday, April 7.