Justin Chen, Sports Writer • May 12, 2024

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for Texas A&M baseball. Dominant for most of the season, the Aggies showed signs of weakness in their...

A&M baseball rolls on Opening Day behind eight Gideon RBIs

Texas A&M baseball began the season with a bang on Friday night, defeating Holy Cross 19-2 behind eight RBIs from third baseman Ronnie Gideon and the pitching performance of AJ Minter.
It was a solid win to begin the 2015 campaign in front of 5,963 fans at Olsen Field, as the Aggies scored their most runs on Opening Day since 1989.
“We knew from the start that we were going to have a great offensive team,” Gideon said. “I think we’ve shown that. Also on the defensive side, our pitchers threw amazing. Both ways it’s great.”
The night got started in the first inning with a Ryne Birk RBI single to give A&M a 1-0 lead. Gideon knocked in two to make it 3-0.
Logan Taylor led off the second inning with a monster shot over the left field wall, giving the Aggies their first home run of the year and a comfortable 4-0 lead.
Two RBIs from Mitchell Nau set up Gideon for a three-run home run, and at the end of the second the Aggies led 10-0.
A&M scored seven runs in the second inning alone, and from that point the Aggies held control.
After a home run from Birk, Banks and Gideon added two more RBI to make it 13-0 at the end of three innings.
Gideon went 4-for-6 with eight RBIs and one home run to lead A&M. He had seven RBIs all of last season.
Gideon and his teammates played off each other and enjoyed the win.
“It was great. It was a fun night,” said a smiling Gideon. “That’s what happens when everyone is hitting through the line up. It’s contagious. That’s how I got my hits.”
Gideon’s effort impressed his head ball coach as well.
“It was pretty special,” Childress said about Gideon’s performance. “He is a big strong guy, he’s got a great approach and he is a great baseball player. We are lucky to have him on our team.”
It was a great pitching performance from Minter, as he only surrendered five hits and struck out seven Crusader batters along the way. In five innings of work, Minter had zero earned runs.
“I was proud of the way we started,” Childress said. “AJ set the tone. He went out, threw strikes and gave us a chance to get in the dugout.”
The Aggies had 15 hits in the game, seven of which were for extra bases. A&M finished with two doubles, two triples and three home runs.
The Aggies will continue their weekend series against Holy Cross at 2:05 p.m. Saturday afternoon.