No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

A&M clinches series with South Carolina in doubleheader

Photo by Photo by Kaylee Cogbill

Junior Bryce Blaum played second base for the Aggies against Auburn.

Following a postponement of Friday’s game to Saturday, Texas A&M clinched the series over South Carolina after winning the second game of the doubleheader 6-3 in Columbia.
The Gamecocks (23-17, 5-13 SEC) edged A&M in the first game of the doubleheader 3-2 after the Aggie defense gave up three runs in the first inning.
Starting right-handed pitcher Asa Lacy opened the game by hitting infielder Noah Campbell and infielder George Callil, setting up catcher Luke Berryhill up for a home run for an early 3-0 lead.
The Aggies (29-12-1, 11-6-1 SEC) answered immediately, with right fielder Logan Foster hitting a home run on the third pitch to cut the deficit to one to start the second inning.
Center fielder Zach DeLoach capitalized with his first at bat with a single into left field, along with first baseman Aaron Walters getting walked to put runners on first and second. Hunter Watson followed up with a single base hit into left field, allowing DeLoach to score, making it 3-2.
Despite each team putting runners on base, neither would cross home plate again in the seven inning contest. Lacy finished with six strikeouts, two hits, three runs, five walks and a single wild pitch for his second loss of the season.
South Carolina starting right-handed pitcher picked up the victory with three strikeouts, three hits, two runs and a pair of walks in four innings pitched. Closer Brett Kerry earned a save after he logged four strikeouts and allowing a single hit.
“For us to lose such a disappointing first game, Lacy hit a couple guys, gave up a three-run homer and they made it stand up,” A&M head coach Rob Childress said.
The finale of the series took off a little more following the conclusion of the last game, with A&M starting righty Christian Roa on the mound.
After holding the South Carolina offense to just a single hit and a reach in the first two innings, the Aggie offense struck first with three runs in the third inning.
With Watson and leadoff hitter Bryce Blaum on first and second after a pair of hits, DeLoach hit a single of his own into right field, putting Watson over the plate and Blaum on third.
Shortstop Braden Shewmake got the fourth straight hit with a double into right-center field, allowing Watson and Blaum to cross home plate for the 3-0 lead.
The Gamecocks took no time to get on the board next, with Callil hitting a double RBI into left center field to cut the lead to two.
Outfielder Cam Blake restored the three-run with a homer over the right field fence for the only score of the fourth inning.
In the bottom of the inning, Childress made the decision to take Roa off the mound in favor for left-handed reliever Joseph Menefee, who closed the fourth with a strikeout.
Menefee only allowed a walk in the single inning he pitched, getting replaced with closer Bryce Miller with an out remaining in the fifth.
With Miller struggling on the mound through the sixth inning after allowing a pair of walks and a run, closing right-handed pitcher Kasey Kalich took over from the rubber.
Kalich walked Campbell with the bases loaded in his third batter faced, cutting the lead back down to one going into the final inning.
With only one out to spare on for the Aggie offense, Blaum hit a two-run homer on the first pitch to put the game out of reach for the Gamecocks.
“[I’m] just trying to do everything for this team,” Blaum said. “We know we needed a punch-back after that inning that we had. Kasey Kalich did a great job, [he had] a 3-2 slider striking a guy out, huge pitch by him getting us off the field and, it’s just very helpful to help our team to win in that facet.”
The Aggies were efficient from the plate, only leaving two runners on base through seven, with a .259 batting average.
“Well it takes everyone,” Childress said. “Hunter Watson got to start in all three games this weekend, I thought he had a fabulous weekend. [He’s] a really good player and he’s growing up right before our eyes.”
A&M comes back to College Station to face UT Arlington on Tuesday night. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and will be televised on SEC Network +.