Justin Chen, Sports Writer • May 12, 2024

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for Texas A&M baseball. Dominant for most of the season, the Aggies showed signs of weakness in their...

A&M club baseball heading to Gulf Coast regionals in May

Civil engineering sophomore pitcher Miguel Munoz on the mound against UT in the April 20-21 series at Brazos Valley Bomber Stadium. (Photo by Colin Siow and A&M Club Baseball)

Texas A&M club baseball will advance as Gulf Coast South Conference champions and looks to bring home the title win at the May 10-12 Gulf Coast Regional Tournament in Monroe, Louisiana.

The Aggies will face the Gulf Coast East Conference champion Auburn University and Gulf Coast North Conference champion SMU in a double-elimination tournament.​​ Games are scheduled to start at 5 p.m. on Friday with the final game scheduled to start at 12 p.m. Sunday. Despite weekend losses to John Melvin University in a four-game series April 26-27, the Aggies have confidence they can prevail at regionals after placing second in 2023.

Civil engineering senior Aaron Dickerson said the team used the April 26-27 series to focus on preparing for regionals. A&M finished 2024 conference play 14-6.

“[John Melvin] are a D3 team, and we are a club team; we focused on using this series as preparation for regionals,” Dickerson said. “John Melvin is the hardest team we play in our regular season.” A&M ended with a 14-10 season record.

It was the second time the Maroon and White faced John Melvin University this season.

“We make it to the regional tournament just about every year,” Dickerson explained.

Currently ranked No.8, Dickerson said the team is prepared for regionals. The Aggies last won Gulf Coast regionals in 2019 and made an appearance in 2023, but did not advance.

“I want us to play the game we’ve always known how to play,” Dickerson said.

The team has experience against SMU, Dickerson said.

“We have played SMU before, they are a really good team, but there always seems to be some beef between us,” Dickerson said. “They are very cocky.”

Though the series against John Melvin University ended with an overall loss for the Aggies. They finished out the series holding their own. With a final score of 9-7, the Maroon and White did not give up.

“Win or lose, we just want to leave it all out on the field,” Dickerson said.

Ashlynn Rutherford is a communication junior and contributed this article from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.