A&M club baseball sweeps Stephen F. Austin at home

Photo by Gia Gaston
Sophomore James Dickerson led off the Aggies against Texas Tech at Edible Field in Bryan on Feb. 24, 2024. (Gia Gaston/JOUR 359 Contributor)

In a three-game home series, Texas A&M Club baseball swept Stephen F. Austin on March 2-3 at Edible Field in Bryan.

The Aggies started the weekend with a 2-1 win in the first game of a doubleheader. The Maroon and White took a hit from SFA’s offense in the second game, trailing 6-0 in the second inning before coming back for an 11-10 win. Sunday’s 8-1 win brought the team’s strategy and teamwork into focus, ocean engineering senior Wes Conquest said.

SFA played poorly the past two years, and the Aggies expected the same this year, Conquest explained, but Saturday’s games made it clear that wasn’t the case this season.

“We battled back and fought hard and ended up taking the lead in the sixth inning,” club president and catcher Conquest said. “We knew we were capable of the win and being a good team … making sure to focus up and come out with a lot of energy and play hard the whole game.”

Finance junior and starting pitcher Matt Janak led the final game Sunday at 3 p.m. and was key with five strikeouts, four hits and four innings pitched. Following the seventh inning, the Aggies sealed the series with an 8-1 win.

“I’ve noticed when we stay loose, have fun and joke around while we are playing, we tend to play a lot better,” Conquest said.

He said he is looking forward to the March 9-10 series at John Melvin University and hopes the team has good competition.

“Hopefully, we can ride the momentum,” Conquest said. “We hope to keep grinding to win the rest of our games.”

The Aggies are 6-1 for the 2023-24 season. Follow @TamuClubBaseball on Instagram and @AgsClubBaseball on X for updates.

Ashlynn Rutherford is a communication junior and contributed this article from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.