The Editor-in-Chiefs of The Aggieland Yearbook, The Battalion, and Maroon Life magazine pose for a photo in The Battalion office studio on Wednesday, May 1, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
The ‘Write’ stuff: A&M Student Media announces 2024-25 leadership
Meet the new editors of The Battalion, Aggieland Yearbook, Maroon Life magazine
Ana Renfroe, Head News Editor • May 4, 2024
Texas A&M infielder Kaeden Kent (3) hits the ball during Texas A&M’s game against Rice at Olsen Field on Tuesday, May 7, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
A&M finishes undefeated in nonconference play with 16-3 win over Rice

For the first time since 2015, Texas A&M baseball finished its nonconference slate undefeated with a 16-3, run-rule win over Rice on Tuesday,...

A&M completes comeback to defeat Georgia, head to SEC Equestrian Championship

Photo by Bridget Bristow

Senior Emmy-Lu Marsh rides A&M’s Tank in the reining event during the competition against Auburn at Hildebrand Equine Complex on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023.

On Friday, March 24, the Southeastern Conference equestrian semifinals in Blythewood, South Carolina, saw a match-up between the No. 2 seed Texas A&M Aggies and the No. 3 seed Georgia Bulldogs. The Aggies would be victorious on the day by a score of 10-8. This would earn them a spot in the SEC Championship.
When looking at the history between these two programs, Georgia has been victorious 24 times. This dwarfs the Aggies’ only 14 wins against the Bulldogs. A&M won the last meeting between the two teams on March 4. The Bulldogs would look for revenge on the day so they could have a chance to be named SEC Champions.
The first event of the day was fences. Earning two points for the Aggies were sophomore Brooke Brombach and junior Devon Thomas. However, it is the Bulldogs who would come away from this event with the upper hand as they would earn three points thanks to junior Jordan Toering, freshman Tessa Brown and senior Rachel McMullen. This made the score 3-2 in favor of Georgia, and the two teams would head to the next event.
Flats were next on the schedule and after this event Georgia would maintain their one point lead, each team earning two points a piece. For the Aggies, it was junior Maggie Nealon and freshman Devan Thomas. Then for Georgia, it was junior Sophia Pilla and senior Ceci Bresch. Sophomore Catalina Peralta would draw with Devon to deny either side a point.
The third event would be horsemanship and Georgia would extend its lead. The Bulldogs would win the event 3-2. To score for them would be junior Leah Anderson, fifth-year Sara Lewis and sophomore Jillian Stopperich. The two points for the Aggies would come from sophomore Hanna Olaussen and junior Ella Petak. This would put the Bulldogs up by a total score of 8-6, and the Aggies would need a miracle if they wanted a spot in the Championship.
The Aggies would do just that. Pulling off a clean sweep in the final event, reining, the Aggies would earn four points and there would be one draw. Earning points would be graduate Lisa Bricker, sophomore Lauren Hanson, senior Ariana Gray and senior Emmy-Lu Marsh. The one draw would be between A&M’s junior Keesa Luers and Georgia’s fifth-year Courtney Blumer.
This meant the Aggies would earn the victory by a final score of 10-6. Coach Tana McKay said that despite being down late her team did not give up.
“I couldn’t be happier for our girls,” McKay said. “This is what we have been preparing for all year long, and I’m proud of how they worked together to come away with the win.”
After their efforts in the day’s competition, A&M will face the No. 1 seed Auburn Tigers in the SEC Championship on Saturday, March 25, at 2:30 p.m. Georgia will now face the No. 4 seed South Carolina Gamecocks in the consolation championship for third place earlier in the day at 9 a.m.