The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

A&M continues hot streak with 6th consecutive win

A%26M+Volleyball
A&M Volleyball

Texas A&M volleyball captured yet another sweep in Knoxville, Tenn. Sunday, extending the team’s win streak to six. The victory moved the Aggies even closer to the top of SEC standings. 

Tensions were high in the opening set as both teams were able to hang with each other for the opening half. The Aggies (14-6, 7-2 SEC) were able to slightly pull away before an attack error by Kiara McGee left the score at 19-14, advantage A&M. University of Tennessee (8-11, 4-4 SEC) was not able to score for the remainder of the set as McGee and Jazzmin Babers traded kills back-and-forth to finish the frame. McGee led with 7 kills, and Babers finished with a perfect hitting efficiency on 6 kills.

The Vols powered back to gain a 5-1 lead, but the Aggies, just as they did earlier in the weekend against Kentucky, put together a rally that vaulted them to a 10-6 lead. The Volunteers were able to come back and even led late in the set at 21-22, but the Aggies were able to stop UT’s Bri Holmes from making a move for the Volunteers and finish the set 25-23.

To follow intermission, A&M finished strong in the third and final set. The Aggies did not trail and quickly found themselves up 20-12, forcing a UT timeout. A&M almost allowed a Tennessee comeback, but multiple errors by the Volunteers, along with a surge by Shelby Sullivan, quickly stopped the momentum and finished the set out 25-18, concluding the sweep.

It was a shared victory among the Aggies, with Babers leading with 11 kills, and Sullivan, McGee, and Emily Hardesty allocating 10 kills each. Stephanie Aiple lived up to her back-to-back SEC Setter of the Week awards with 38 assists on the match, and both Amy Nettles and Victoria Arenas recorded 13 digs. A&M led with 48 kills over UT’s 35, and had over double the hitting percentage at .296 compared to the Volunteer’s .147.

A&M will return home to Reed Arena Wednesday evening at 5 p.m. to face the Missouri Tigers. The Tigers and Aggies will duke it out on ESPNU to compete for the second spot in the SEC standings.