A&M defeats LSU on the road for first win in February

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Sophomore Guard Admon Gilder played all 40 minutes of Tuesday night’s game and finished with 11 points. 

The Aggies now 12-10, 4-6 SEC played an all but perfect game Saturday night. Texas A&M had fewer mistakes than LSU who moved 9-13, (1-9 SEC) on the season. The Tigers extend their losing streak to 9 games before taking on No. 8 Kentucky this coming Tuesday night.
Not much can be said for either team’s performance in the first half but it was sophomore guard Admon Gilder and freshman forward Robert Williams that stole the spotlight. They led both squads with 11 and 9 points, respectively.
Williams continued to shine and added another three blocks to his season total in just 17 minutes of play while Gilder shot 62.5 percent efficiency from the field and gave the Aggies a healthy 34-25 lead going into the break. The duo ended the competition with Gilder’s game-high 20 points and Williams tying his career-high at 18.
The two SEC squads came out of the locker rooms hot and firing on all cylinders. The Tigers nearly doubled the productivity of their first half but still came up short. The teams performed equally and each squad struggled in the shooting department, finishing neck-and-neck at 46 percent. 
It was the turnover battle that propelled the Aggies to victory. The Tigers have suffered this season due to their inability to force mistakes and keep possession. The Bayou Bengals relinquished 17 turnovers to the Aggies’ 8, led by steals from Gilder and sophomore forward DJ Hogg. This allowed Gilder and graduate guard JC Hampton to rule the outside and shoot uncontested. The pair collectively scored seven three-pointers to put the game to bed.
The Aggies return to the hardwood this coming Wednesday as they play host to the Missouri Tigers. Tipoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. at Reed Arena in College Station.