A&M defeats Marquette 3-0

The No. 12 Texas A&M soccer team downed Marquette 3-0 Sunday night.
Senior Kelley Monogue was injured in the beginning of the first period, and with missed goal attempts on either side the first half drug on as neither team was able to score. Monogue would return later in the second half.
Ending the half with 13 shots by A&M and three by Marquette, it would not be until the latter half of the game that the Aggies would pull out the win.
Head coach G Guerrieri challenged the team during halftime to step up their play.
“Instead of taking what the other team was going to give us, we had to press the issue a little bit,” Guerrieri said. “We need to inflict our will on the game.”
The Aggies came out in the second half and almost scored their first goal with the first touch of the second frame.
Later in the half, senior Allie Bailey was left wide open between two Marquette defenders giving her a clean shot to put the Aggies on the board. Bailey was assisted by Monogue, and the goal marked her second of the season.
At the 63-minute mark, A&M would score again. Her first goal of the season, senior Leigh Edwards would dribble the ball down the center of the field and fire the ball past the keeper to double A&M’s lead.
Still a very physical game, A&M was awarded a penalty kick after senior captain Shea Groom was fouled inside the box. Groom would bury the kick and score A&M’s third and final goal.
The Aggies (6-1-1) will return to Ellis Field Thursday night to open conference play against Tennessee.