A&M drops third SEC matchup of season to No. 11 Arkansas

Photo by Chris Swann

Senior F Jazmine Wilkinson (12) kicks the ball during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2023 at Ellis Field.

In a down-to-the-wire SEC matchup, Texas A&M soccer fell to Arkansas 1-0 in its Taylor’s Version-themed game Sunday, Sept. 24, at Ellis Field. With the loss, the Aggies stretched their losing streak against the Razorbacks to six-straight games.
The first half was largely defensive with both teams going back-and-forth, ultimately resulting in a stalemate by the end of the half.
The Aggies managed to outshoot the Razorbacks, putting up eight shots in the first half with five on goal, while Arkansas only mustered one off-target shot.
The second half kicked off similarly to the first, until a threatening run orchestrated by junior midfielder Mia Pante on the outside was crossed to junior forward Maile Hayes, who blasted a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar. The ball was cleared by the Razorbacks’ defense after Hayes’ shot failed on her second chance rebound.
“We were dominating the whole time, [but] unfortunately that’s how the game goes sometimes,” Hayes said. “We obviously need to finish our chances, we hit the crossbar I don’t even know how many times, and not just the crossbar but the inside of [it], which is even worse.”
Another missed opportunity for the Maroon and White came after junior forward MaKhiya McDonald hit the top of the woodwork that was rebounded for another off-the-mark shot by senior forward Jazmine Wilkinson.
Arkansas struck first late in the 75th minute off an assist by graduate midfielder Bea Franklin to freshman defender Kennedy Ball for a ground shot through the bottom right of the net.
“I’m really irritated, [but] proud of my team,” coach G Guerrieri said. “I thought [the Razorbacks] were really lucky to get out of here with a win, [they] had one really good chance on goal and finished it. We should have scored five goals, we hit the post a few times and missed sitters in front of the goal, we just bungled our chances.”
The last two SEC matchups for the Aggies resulted in a tie against Kentucky, and a win against Mississippi State, for a total of 4 points — 1 for the tie and 3 for the win. With the loss, A&M dropped 3 points in the SEC standings.
Next, A&M will remain at Ellis Field for the Turn it Gold game, promoting the battle against childhood cancer, as it faces Ole Miss on Friday, Sept. 29, at 7 p.m.
“It’s an SEC game, so it’s going to be another battle here … for us, it’s a big night because it’s our Turn it Gold game, [which] is all about [raising awareness] and funds for juvenile cancer,” Guerrieri said. “We will be selling our jerseys, and you can check it out for more information on 12thMan.com.”