Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

A&M equestrian set to host South Carolina Saturday

Junior Jumping Seat Brooke Brombach rides North at the Texas A&M vs Baylor Equestrian meet on Sept.29, 2023 at the Hildbrand Equine Complex. (Julianne Shivers/ The Battalion)

The No. 2 Texas A&M equestrian team will host the No. 4 South Carolina Gamecocks at the Hildebrand Equine Complex on Saturday, Feb. 10, at 1 p.m.

The Maroon and White started the spring season on Jan. 27 with a 10-0 sweep against Dartmouth College, remaining undefeated at 7-0 in Jumping Seat. Last time out against the Gamecocks in November 2023, the Aggies won 10-8, winning three of four events including Fences and Flat. The Aggies’ road victory in South Carolina extended their win streak to nine as they continued to dominate in the all-time series, 24-9.

With A&M Jumping Seat off to the best start in program history at 7-0, junior Brooke Brombach is expected to lead the Maroon and White on Saturday after compiling a record of 11-3 across two disciplines and four Most Outstanding Performer awards.

In Western, senior Mattie Gustin put together a perfect fall at 6-0 with two Most Outstanding Performer honors for Reining. Graduate Cori Cansdale, senior Millie Landon and junior Hanna Olaussen are each 4-2 to lead the Aggies in Horsemanship.

Standouts Brombach and senior Maggie Nealon were named SEC Fences and Flat Riders of the Month for January by the National Collegiate Equestrian Association. Brombach was named Fences Rider of the Month for the second time this season after earning her fourth MOP award of the season in the Aggies’ 10-0 win over Dartmouth. She scored a ride of 87 on Splendid, defeating her competitor by six points to improve to 6-1 on the year.

Nealon earned her first MOP award of the year after matching the program record with a score of 96 in Flat against Dartmouth. The senior improved to 4-0-3 on the season and was also named the NCEA Flat Rider of the Month.

Kenya Rodriguez is a recreation, park and tourism sciences senior and contributed this from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.