A&M falls to Pepperdine

The Texas A&M women’s soccer team, hosting its fourth game in as many matchups this season, fell to the Pepperdine Waves in a 3-1 contest Sunday afternoon at Ellis Field.
After squandering multiple offensive opportunities throughout the game, the A&M defense eventually broke, allowing three quick goals by the Wave during the second half.
Texas A&M head coach G Guerrieri said the amount of Pepperdine scores to close the game was unacceptable, noting the young Aggie squad still had a lot to work on.
“I can’t remember the last time we gave up three goals on our own field and especially three goals in one half,” Guerrieri said. “I’m disappointed. We can’t point fingers. We’ve got a lot of areas that need work. Our backline has got to get sorted out.”
The No. 19-ranked Aggies (2-2-0) kicked off the home matchup with a high level of energy, easily controlling the tempo throughout the first half. An intense offensive attack was marked by a 12-6 edge in shots and a 6-1 margin in corner kicks, but solid defense from Pepperdine goalkeeper Hannah Seabert held the Aggies at bay.
Following halftime, though, the Wave offense jumped into high gear, earning two goals in the first four minutes. The A&M offense attempted a response behind star junior forward Kelley Monogue, who cut the lead 2-1 with a score at 35:37 remaining the match.
During the 62nd minute, Monogue missed a chance to knot the score, as her strike sailed inches over the Pepperdine crossbar. The Wave quickly answered in the 71st minute, adding an insurance goal to cut A&M morale heading into the final stretch.
According to Monogue, though, the loss will serve as a learning experience for the young team.
“I think we needed to finish our chances and work on our organization in the back,” Monogue said. “We just got spread apart too much. That was a good learning game for us.”
For Guerrieri, though, the overall effort, or lack thereof, was responsible for the loss, a mentality that requires serious attention going forward.
“It didn’t appear to be a good effort out there and the result certainly proved it,” Guerrieri said. “This was one of those games where we did a lot to come close but we didn’t finish off our chances and we didn’t come close enough to not allow them to finish off their chances. Our effort has got to be better. If we expect to win anything, our effort has got to improve.”
Friday evening, the Aggies faced off with Pac-12 opponent Arizona State, dominating the Sun Devils 3-1 at Ellis Field.
The A&M offense was buoyed by three separate scorers – Monogue, junior midfielder Allie Bailey, and freshman forward Liz Keester – who each found the net once during the game.
For Keester, her score was the first of her career and was an opportunity she was thankful to have with a program as high-caliber as A&M.
“It took more focus and staying positive, knowing that it’s eventually going to come,” Keester said. “I’m just thankful to be getting the opportunities.”
Texas A&M faces off with San Diego Friday and former Big 12 rival Baylor Sunday at Ellis Field.