A&M golf falls short

The Aggie men’s golf team once again found itself near the bottom of the pack this weekend at the Dick’s Sporting Goods Collegiate Challenge Cup, finishing 10th out of the 12-team field. A&M finished at +33 after 54 holes, 37 strokes behind tournament winners Georgia Tech.
Junior Adria Arnaus led the Aggies for the second weekend in a row, finishing stroke play tied for No. 14 among all individuals with a score of +2 (215). Arnaus tallied 10 birdies during the first 54 holes, seven of which occurred in Friday’s second round where he shot a career-low 65 on the par-71 Golf Club of Tennessee course. Arnaus also recorded one of A&M’s two eagles during the tournament.
Freshman Conner Black recorded the second-best score for A&M, ending stroke play at +6 (219). Black was also responsible for A&M’s second-best round of the weekend with a 67 in the second round.
Junior Ben Crancer and freshman Andrew Paysse finished play at +14 (227) and +15 (228), respectively. Crancer was responsible for the Aggies’ other eagle, a three-shot on the par-five 7 hole. Junior Andrew Lister rounded out the rotation with a score of +17 (230).
On Sunday, Texas A&M was paired with North Carolina State for the team match play. The Wolfpack finished ninth during stroke play, three shots ahead of the Aggies, and beat A&M 4-1 in head-to-head play.
Overall, the SEC and ACC ended the Challenge Cup in a dead heat, with each conference finishing Sunday with two wins, two losses and two ties in match play.
The Aggie men will see their next action Oct. 6 at the Jerry Pate Intercollegiate in Birmingham, Ala.