Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

A&M gymnastics Women’s Level 9 team takes the gold

Megan Rodriguez performing her floor exercise routine on March 23 at the Physical Education Activity Program building on West Campus. (Photo by Raquel Eichelmann)

The Texas A&M Gymnastics Club Women’s Level 9 team placed first overall while hosting the Texas Gymnastics Conference Championships on Saturday, March 23, at the Physical Education Activity Program building.

So far in the 2024 season, Women’s Level 9 has either taken first or swept all-around as a team in the five competitions. Despite the “exhaustion” from setting up the gym for the meet, environmental engineering sophomore Megan Rodriguez said the team has “good energy” and is happy with the performance.

Rodriguez placed first in vault, fourth in beam, and was in the top-10 floor competitors.

“I feel really good about my performance, considering it was my first time doing vault this whole season due to an ankle injury I had,” Rodriguez said.

The home meet made Rodriguez want to “show out” despite the extra pressure of performing in front of family and friends, which she said she enjoys.

“Since we recently had spring break, we’re all trying to get back into routine,” Rodriguez said “But I do think our team could improve on being less wobbly on beam, cheering each other on and consistency as a whole.”

Rodriguez said the team met its goals by landing flipping vaults, which are higher in difficulty, and by doing well on the floor with back-to-back routines.

“Personally, I feel the most comfortable doing floor compared to any other event because I choreographed it myself,” Rodriguez said. “But I also love vault because it’s just muscle memory at this point, and I don’t really have to think much of it.”

The final meet will be nationals in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on April 10-13.

“The stakes are higher at nationals so we’re definitely going to be practicing a lot more within these next three weeks,” Rodriguez said. “But it’s fun because you get to interact with a lot of different people, and you just get to see more gymnastics in general.”

Jordyn Joseph is a journalism junior and contributed this article from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.