Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) catches the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 12, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Troubles in ‘Loosa
Braxton Dore, Sports Writer • April 13, 2024

After taking the home series over Kentucky last weekend, No. 12 Texas A&M softball received a well-deserved break over the week before traveling...

Ring Day run rule
Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

A&M hockey drops second-straight game to arch-rival Texas in 5-3 defeat

Photo by Jaime Rowe

Senior Goalie Jake Sirkis (24) blocks a goal attempt made by Texas University Freshman Owen Just (97) during Texas A&M’s game against Texas University on Friday, Oct. 20, 2023 at Spirit Ice Arena.

Texas A&M hockey pushed, shoved and battled against the University of Texas on Friday, Oct. 20, but it wasn’t enough, as they had no answers late in its 5-3 loss. The defeat moves the Maroon and White’s record to 3-6 in 2023.
The match began just like any other between the Aggies and the Longhorns: with plenty of physicality. The first five minutes of the first period were physical, with each team going back and forth with shots on goal, and players battling each other for a chance at the puck. 
In the sixth minute, freshman forward Colson Zak scored first, giving the Aggies a 1-0 lead. Zak, who was named player of the game last week in the team’s victory over the Roadrunners, finished the evening scoring two of A&M’s three goals.
The Longhorns would respond quickly, however, as they scored back-to-back goals late in the period to take a 2-1 lead, with the first of these goals coming off the stick of freshman winger Adam Takacs. A&M was able to tack on another goal near the end of the period thanks to junior forward Marshall Rushing’s second goal of the season, knotting the score at 2-2 to end the first period.
The physicality between the two teams continued into the second period. In the seventh minute of the second, the Aggies took a 3-2 lead with another goal from Zak. Once again, however, the Longhorns had an answer, as they scored a pair of goals to take a 4-3 lead. A&M continued to battle, but the score would remain the same until the end of the period.
The third and final period of the evening was a defensive showcase, as it was the only period of the game without multiple goals. The Aggies were aggressive in their pursuit to even the score, but the Longhorns were just as aggressive defensively. Junior Texas goalie Jesse Reinhard made several key stops in the third to keep the Maroon and White at bay. In the final minute, Texas scored to extend their lead to 5-3, driving the dagger into the heart of A&M.
The Aggies had their share of opportunities throughout this one, but the Longhorns were more persistent, capitalizing on more of A&M’s mistakes.
A&M’s will look to snap their losing streak when they face Texas once again on Saturday, Oct. 21, at the Moody Center in Austin, Texas.