A&M hockey swept by Baylor

Hockey+%28copy%29
Photo by Robert O’Brien
Hockey (copy)

Following last night’s loss to the Bears, Texas A&M’s hockey team returned to the ice to play Baylor in the second and final game of the series.

The Aggies lost 4-3 in another close one to the Bears. The Maroon and White’s slow start proved to be the deciding factor in the game. However, the Aggies played well in the second and third periods.

The start of the game was back-and-forth, but with 16:47 left in the first period, the Aggies struck first thanks to junior forward Nate Polinsky on a breakaway goal.

The Bears were given a five-on-four opportunity after an Aggie penalty, but A&M was able to kill it to get back to full strength.

Baylor then had a chance after A&M lost possession in its own zone, but senior goalie Jake Sirkis kept Baylor off the scoreboard.

The Aggies were under pressure for most of the period. A&M kept the puck out of the net, but the Bears equalized off a backhand with 2:27 left in the period.

Baylor then worked the puck in the Aggie zone and scored off a one-timer to go up 2-1. The Bears outshot the Aggies 19-8 to close the first period.

A&M started the second period in the Baylor zone and outshot the Bears 3-0 in the first four minutes. The constant pressure paid off as freshman forward Matthew Filek fired a shot past the goalie’s pad to equalize for the Aggies.

The Maroon and White continued putting pressure on Baylor. The Bears were forced to make multiple saves and had a few scares in front of the net.

The Aggies continued their dominating period and had a great opportunity to go up one after a two-on-one chance, but couldn’t capitalize.

After both teams committed minor penalties, A&M was about to kill its penalty, but the Bears scored against the run of play. The Aggies outshot Baylor 20-7 in the period, but the Bears went into the second intermission up 3-2.

It only took Baylor four minutes to open the scoring in the third period. The Bears transitioned the puck from their zone into a three-on-two chance. All three Baylor attackers touched the puck in the attack before it found its way in the Aggie net.

A&M brought a goal back on a power play off a wrist shot to the top right corner by junior forward Marshall Rushing.

The Aggies had a golden chance with six minutes remaining. Junior forward Nate Polinsky scored a wrist shot, but the goal was called off because of goalie interference.

A&M had another opportunity to equalize after a Baylor minor penalty, but the Bears killed off the penalty.

The Maroon and White was forced to pull the goalie with two minutes left, but the Bears held on to win the game 4-3.

A&M ended up putting 41 shots on goal to Baylor’s 34, but the slow start in the first period proved to be costly in the end.

Next for A&M is the first game of a home series versus Metro State. First puck drop is set for 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 13.