A&M hosts SEC Championship, will face Georgia in semi-finals

Photo by Annie Lui

Members of the Texas A&M Equestrian Team cheer for their teammates competing during Equitation on the Flat. 

For the second time in program history, the Texas A&M equestrian team will host the Southeastern Conference Championships at Hildebrand Equine Complex on March 29 and March 30.
In line with the excellence expected of SEC teams, each of the four schools selected to participate in the championship — Auburn, South Carolina, Georgia and A&M — make up four of the top ten ranked teams in the nation.
As if the competition was not fierce enough, the SEC is home to the only teams in the nation to have ever won a combined national championship, giving the meet increased national attention and significance. But the Aggies are ready to face the additional pressure head on.
“It’s kind of a different dynamic and atmosphere and I think we will like having a huge crowd come out,” senior Sarah Orsak said. “The pressure is obviously on. We’re the only SEC team not to have won SEC’s and this is my last year so we’re going all in. We’re ready for tomorrow for sure.”
To earn their spot in the championship bracket, A&M has put up an 9-4 record over the course of the season to earn the No. 3 ranking in the tournament.
The semi-final matchup will feature A&M and the No. 2 ranked Georgia Bulldogs. The matchup will mark the third meeting between the two teams this season with Georgia earning the victory at both prior meetings.
As back-to-back defending SEC champions, Georgia proves to be a formidable obstacle for the Aggies in pursuit of the SEC title. The two teams have historically had a competitive rivalry, facing off in conference play, SEC championships and even at nationals.
While the Aggies have won many of these matchups, they have yet to earn an SEC championship.
Senior Rebekah Chenelle said the entire team is excited about the possibility of winning an SEC Championship this year.
“Winning nationals is cool, but winning the best conference in equestrian would be pretty awesome,” Chenelle said.
With strong performances at their last three meets, A&M head coach Tana McKay is confident in her teams’ preparation and mentality heading into the meet.
“I feel like our schedule has actually worked really well. Every sport wants to peak at the right time and I feel like we are there. We’ve made the progress and adjustments we wanted to from those meets and learned from them. We’re ready to take the test,” McKay said.
A&M and Georgia will face off at 9 a.m. on Friday at the Hildebrand Equine Complex. The winner of this matchup will move on to the championship round on Saturday at 1 p.m. and will face the winner of the No. 1 Auburn and No. 4 South Carolina matchup.