Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) winds up to pitch during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Took the Tide
Took the Tide
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Took the Tide
Kylie Stoner, Associate Sports Editor • April 15, 2024

After a close pitching battle in the beginning of the matchup, Texas A&M softball defeated 9-4 Alabama to take the series on Monday, April...

Visitors attend Homegrown at Northgate, an annual farmers and artisan market on Sunday, April 16, 2024. (Samuel Falade/The Battalion)
Homegrown brings food trucks, local vendors, live music to Northgate
Nadia Abusaid, Life & Arts Writer • April 15, 2024

A cool breeze flows on a Sunday as people listen to the strums of a guitar and smooth vocals. People stroll past stands and food trucks, stopping...

Guest contributor says students pose an unacceptable danger to local motorists. (Photo via Nile/Pixabay)
Letter to the editor: No-More-Student-Drivers
Trey Bass, Guest Contributor • April 15, 2024

Dear Editor,  I am writing to discuss the current state of our city and some glaring issues I have noticed being perpetrated on the innocent...

A&M judo to host national competition on West Campus

The Texas A&M judo team practices Feb. 28 in preparation to host the National Collegiate Judo Association Southwest Regional on Saturday, March 2, in the PEAP building on West Campus. (Photo by Jordan Johnson, JOUR 359 Contributor)

The Texas A&M judo team will host the National Collegiate Judo Association Southwest Regional on Saturday, March 2 beginning at 9:30 a.m. in the Physical Education Activity Program building. 

A&M judo competes in the region that includes athletes from Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and New Mexico. Registration and weighing begins Friday, March 1 from 7-8 p.m. in PEAP and again Saturday 8-9 a.m. before the competition begins.

Athletes from Texas Tech and other Texas teams will be looking to test their abilities against the Texas A&M judo team, coach Bob Perez said. 

Perez said he has high confidence in his team and has mentally prepared them for the competition. 

Perez said how one speaks to competitors is key to providing “moral support” to prepare them for matches.  

They have many obstacles ahead of them, including mental mistakes or injuries — from broken bones to head injuries — that can dictate whether the team will have enough athletes for each weight class, Perez said.

Aggie athletes to watch on Saturday include applied mathematics sophomore Paolo Maaskant, Blinn Team sophomore Steven “Joey” Salazar and economics sophomore Tyler Moore, who finished 9-2 at the team’s Feb. 24 competition. 

“We want our athletes to win,” Perez said. “But I want them to get in their comfort zone and try to make less mental mistakes than they did last time.”  

Any full-time student is eligible for the 2023 NCJA SW Championships, including undergraduate and graduate students. Eligibility includes USA Judo, USJA, USJF and ATJA, and USA Judo membership is available at the event registration.

For more information, visit AggieJudo.com or follow @TexasAggieJudo.

Jordan Johnson is a sociology senior and contributed this article from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.