A&M leads track rankings

Senior Fred Kerley of Texas A&M’s men’s track team broke the 25-year-old collegiate record in the 400 meters at the NCAA West Prelims with a time of 43.70.

Monday afternoon, the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association, USTFCCCA, released its latest track and field rankings, with both the Texas A&M men’s and women’s teams taking No. 1 in the nation.

The men’s team jumped over Florida to claim the top spot, and the women’s team jumped up seven spots to claim the crown over the Oregon Ducks.

The men lead the nation in five events, featuring Fred Kerley in the 400m (44.60), Robert Grant in the 400m hurdles (49.40), Lindon Victor in the decathlon (8,472), Loannis Kyriazis in javelin (288-9), Audie Wyatt in pole vault (18-8 ¼) and the 4×400 relay team (3:01.74).

On the women’s side, the Aggie national leaders include Danyel White and Brenessa Thompson in the 200m, Jazmine Fray in the 800m (2:01.43),  Audrey Malone in javelin (181-8) and the 4×100 relay team (42.82).

For outdoor track and field, the SEC currently has 11 teams in the top 25, most of which will participate in the SEC relays in Baton Rouge, a two-day relay meet starting Friday. Unlike most traditional track meets, the SEC relays takes into account men’s and women’s point totals together.
The main events on the track for the SEC relays are the 4×100, 4×200, 4×400, 4×800, sprint medley, distance medley and shuttle hurdle. On the field, there will be a jumps relay and a throws relay, in which the highest mark from each individual is added together on a team of four athletes.