A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

A&M men’s club soccer opens spring season with a banger

Texas A&M men’s club soccer team defends a set piece against Bell County FC March 2 at Penberthy Rec Sports Complex. (Photo by Mathias Cubillan, JOUR 359 Contributor)

Texas A&M men’s club soccer opened its six-game spring season with a commanding 10-0 victory, controlling the game from the opening whistle.

The Aggies kicked off spring on Saturday, March 2, with a rout of Bell County FC at Penberthy Rec Sports Complex. Although the Aggies are not playing for a trophy this season, the games will develop new talent, graduate center back Bryant Mcarthur said.

Opening in their standard 4-3-3 formation, the Maroon and White struck first and opened the scoring in the second minute of play. Sophomore attacking midfielder Sebastian Ramirez got a hold of a loose ball and slotted it past the goalkeeper.

“It was nice to get one early,” graduate Alex Gutenberg said. “First game of the spring season there’s going to be nerves, but I think getting that first one so early on in the game got everybody into the game.”

A&M continued to put the pressure on Bell County FC and dominated possession of the ball. The Aggies had a seventh-minute goal ruled out for offside, but they doubled their lead through a penalty by sophomore Stephen Mucher in the ninth minute.

Bell County FC failed to force a save from the A&M goalkeepers, but the best chance came when a free kick hit the woodwork from roughly 30-yards out.

After bringing on a pair of substitutions, A&M was rewarded when junior Rishi Venkateswaran crossed the ball from the right flank to sophomore Jackson Ward for an easy finish. Sophomore Quinn Stehling added another goal just before halftime to make it 4-0 at the break for the Aggies.

Three new Aggies joined the scoresheet in the second half with goals from sophomore Alfred Fairchild, junior Julian Arai and junior Sean Paxton. Stehling scored again, and Ward finished a hat trick with a penalty on one of the last kicks of the game to make the score 10-0 for A&M.

“We are going to have some more competition that we are going to have to focus on,” Gutenberg said. “Obviously, we’re not going to score 10 goals every game, but it should be fun.”

Men’s soccer has five more games scheduled, including an alumni game on April 27 to finish the year.