A&M mens golf team grabs first Big 12 Championship

The Aggie mens golf team emerged from its final Big 12 tournament with its first Big 12 championship.
The No. 13 Aggies captured the title on Sunday, finishing three shots ahead of No. 1 Texas.
With a two-foot putt on the 18th hole, true freshman Ty Dunlap was able to secure the first Big 12 championship in program history after facing off against Texas Dylan Frettelli, the No. 2 player in the nation.
This is a tough championship to get your hands on and it feels great, head coach J.T. Higgins said. Im so proud of the way we finished and closed it out. [Dunlap] hit a perfect drive, a perfect wedge and a perfect lag putt. I dont know what else we could have asked him. It was unbelievable.
The Aggies came into the tournament without its top player, junior Cameron Peck, who was still recovering from a back injury suffered in last weeks Aggie Invitational.
Every player for Texas A&M finished in the top 20. Dunlap led the Aggies with a second-place finish (1-under-par 287). Sophomore Johannes Veerman and senior Jordan Russel also grabbed top-10 finishes, shooting 2-over and 6-over par, respectively. Russell finished in the top-10 in each of the three years he competed in the Big 12 Tournament. Senior Geoff Shaw finished in 14th while redshirt freshman Greg Yates finished 20th.
The Aggies now wait for the NCAA Regional selections, which will be announced on May 7.
Were just going to really try and enjoy these next couple of days, Higgins said.
We have finals coming up, and guys have to get ready for that. Well get back to practicing and make sure were ready to go wherever they send us.
Aggie Athletics contributed to this article.