A&M men’s golf’s Maggert lands top 10 finish

Courtesy of Craig Bisacre/Texas A&M Athletics

Senior member of the Texas A&M golf team Sam Bennett secured a podium finish at the second tournament of the 2021 season. 

The Texas A&M men’s golf team sent three players to Houston for the All-American Individual Tournament from Monday, March 18 to Tuesday, March 19.Freshman Jake Maggert was the star of the show, securing sixth place by matching the course par with 72 in the third and final round.

Maggert jointly led birdies at the tournament with a total of 10. His performance didn’t get off to the best start, scoring 8-over par in the first round, but Maggert managed to bounce back in a big way with a 3-under 69 in the second.

Besides Maggert, redshirt freshman Joe Stover started out strong with a fourth place ranking after Day 1. Showing off his consistency, Stover hit a 2-over 74 followed by a 1-under 71 to put him one stroke back after the second round. Stover hit a big roadblock come Tuesday, getting through the third round with a 7-over 79 to finish in 11th place.

Freshman Jack Usner scored a 5-over 77 to start the event and followed it up with a 2-over 74. Usner wasn’t able to maintain his momentum, scoring an 8-over 80 in the third round. Usner finished the tournament in 21st place.

Texas Tech junior Charlie Delong won the tournament and was the only golfer to shoot under par, finishing at 3-under.

The Aggies head to the Sunshine State to play in the Valspar Collegiate from Monday, March 25 to Tuesday, March 26 at Floridian National Golf Club.