A&M men’s tennis defeats Auburn on Senior Day

Photo by Photo by Paul Burke

Senior Arthur Rinderknech won his singles match 6-1, 6-2.

The No. 5 Texas A&M men’s tennis team earned a 4-3 win over the Auburn Tigers on Sunday afternoon at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center to close out SEC play and to secure the first SEC Championship for the program and the first undefeated conference season since 2001.
The Aggies wasted no time establishing an advantage as they acquired the doubles point when freshman Juan Carlos Aguilar and senior Arthur Rinderknech were quick to earn a 6-1 win on court one against Edward Nguyen and Tad Maclean. Then, No. 57 Jordi Arconada and Kevin Lam topped Diego Chavarria and Lorenzo Rodrigues on court three to further claim the doubles point.
There was a prompt intermission before singles play, as there were three players and team student manager that were to receive honors for having done their part for Texas A&M men’s tennis program. Student Manager Erika Kartz plans to obtain an MBA after graduation in August and having supported the program for the last two years. Rinderknech, Arconada and AJ Catanzariti took part in the Aggies’ two SEC Tournament titles and are the program’s eighth senior class to account for at least 90 wins.
After receiving his honors, No. 41 Arconada earned a 6-2, 6-2 victory against Olle Thestrup on court three to extend the Aggies’ lead and to improve to an 11-1 conference record.
Immediately following, No. 10 Rinderknech downed No. 86 Matteo De Vincentis, 6-1, 6-2, on court two to further improve the lead and his personal conference record (10-2) and earn his 64th singles win.
Freshman No. 6 Patrick Kypson would then assure the victory and the SEC Championship for the Aggies once he earned the 6-2, 6-3 win over Nguyen on court one. 

As soon as the outcome had been determined, Auburn claimed the final three points that were to be awarded. Maclean defeated No. 105 Aguilar while Carles Sarrio got the best of No. 52 Valentin Vacherot. On court six, Catanzariti fell short to Brandon Lauber.
Today’s win concluded the team’s regular season play and secured the Aggies’ top seed in the SEC Tournament, April 25-29, and granted them a double-bye and will have them await their contender of Friday, April 27 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. A&M looks to continue their success in the tournament, having earned semifinal berths in each SEC Tournament they have reached while collecting titles in the 2014 and 2015 seasons.