A&M outlasts rally in ninth

Despite a late-inning push from the University of Texas at Arlington, the Texas A&M baseball team defeated the Mavericks, 5-4, at Globe Life Park in Arlington.
Freshman pitcher Tyler Stubblefield (2-1, 0.47 ERA) kept the Mavericks guessing for most of the night, allowing just five hits while recording nine strikeouts – including the first four outs of the game.
Freshman right fielder Nick Banks got the Aggies on the board in the second inning when he drove in junior first baseman Cole Lankford in with an infield single to shortstop.
In the sixth, junior third baseman Logan Nottebrok added to his team lead when he drove in Krey Bratsen with a single to third base for his 12th RBI on the season.
After 98 pitches, Stubblefield was relieved by sophomore left hander Ty Schlottmann with a runner on first and two outs in the bottom of the sixth. Schlottmann retired the next batter to close Stubblefield’s line.
Schlottmann only faced the one batter – the third time this season he has been called upon to retire just one hitter. Including his 5.1 innings pitched in his freshman season, Schlottmann has now gone his first 6.1 innings pitched in college without allowing an earned run.
The Aggies added to their lead in the top of the seventh behind a two-RBI double from junior Mitchell Nau. With men on second and third, Blake Allemand brought in J.B. Moss with a sacrifice fly.
Junior reliever Jason Freeman was brought in with the bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the seventh inning after sophomore Andrew Vision allowed two singles and a walk without recording an out.
Freeman was able to escape the jam by inducing a double play when UT Arlington’s Peter Cuomo was doubled off of first base by second baseman Blake Allemand after snagging a line drive. Freeman got the next batter to fly out to right field, keeping the Mavericks scoreless.
UT Arlington broke the shutout in the bottom of the eighth with a two-run home run, but sophomore A.J. Minter quickly retired the next three batters.
Childress brought in sophomore Andrew Vinson to slam the door on the Mavericks. A single, error and wild pitch quickly put runners at second and third with no outs.
A pinch hit double from Maverick Jackson Morris brought the Aggie lead down to two with one out. Matt Shortall, who finished the game 3-for-4, hit a sacrifice fly to centerfield to cut A&M’s lead to one.
With the tying run on second, Vinson struck out Greg McCall to end the game.
A&M returns to action at 6:35 p.m. Wednesday at Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park to take on Texas Southern.