A&M pitching staff dominate in 9-3 win over Kentucky

Photo by Photo by Kaylee Cogbill

Freshman Chris Weber attempts to pick off the runner at first.

The No. 18 Texas A&M baseball team clinched game two of the series against Kentucky, defeating the Wildcats 9-3, on Saturday at Kentucky Proud Park.
The Aggie offense was led behind pitchers Asa Lacy and Chandler Jozwiak, who combined for 17 strikeouts on the day. Lacy, now 5-0 on the season, earned his career-high 13 strikeouts after throwing six in a row throughut the fourth and fifth innings.
“Defense, pitching & hitting, we were just relentless today,” Lacy said.
Jozwiak took over for the last three innings, yielding two runs on two hits while striking out four batters.
“Our pitching staff is really impressive to watch & really fun to play behind,” infielder Braden Shewmake said about the pitching.
The Aggie offense put the pedal to the metal with their at bats, collecting 13 hits and firing three home runs on the day. Catcher Mikey Hoehner put up his first career home run in the fifth inning. Braden Shewmake brought in four runs, batting 2-for-5 with one home run.
For the series, Shewmake has gone 5-for-10 with seven RBIs and two home runs. Will Frizzell went 2-for-4 with a home run, two runs and two RBIs.
Second baseman, Bryce Blaum reached base in all five of his appearances at the plate, going 4-for-4 with a triple off the first pitch in the first inning, three runs and an RBI.
“It was really good to see one through nine [in the batting lineup] putting great swings on the ball, ” Blaum said.
Improving to 20-5 on the season and 4-1 in SEC play, the Aggies extended their win streak to five games. A&M will go for the series sweep tomorrow against Kentucky at 12:02 p.m.