A&M places 1st in all events, tops IWU

Texas A&M men’s swimming and diving trumped Incarnate Word 135-98 Friday night in its first victory of the season at the Annie Barshop Natatorium.
After losing to a seasoned 2013-14 NCAA runner-up University of Texas team, the Aggies bounced back against the Cardinals.
The Aggies punched out first-place finishers in every event and had victories in 11 of the 13 swimming events.
A&M senior Hayden Duplechain contributed with a third-place finish in the 400 individual medley. Fellow upperclassmen Luke Shaw helped create separation by finishing first in the 200 freestyle and the 100 butterfly.
“That was, by far, the best 200 free I’ve ever seen Luke do in an in-season race,” head coach Jay Holmes said. “Luke really did a nice job in front of the hometown folks. In both his wins, he led from wire-to-wire. It’s nice to see him swimming this well this early in the school year.”
Freshman Gonzalo Carazo had an outing consisting of a 6th-place finish in the 100 freestyle and claimed first in the 400 individual medley.
Diving was more of the same for A&M, sweeping both events.
The Aggies will be in Boca Raton, Fla., Thursday to compete against Florida Atlantic.