Items from Lt. Col. David Michael Booth, Class of 1964, on display at the Muster Reflections Display in the Memorial Student Center on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Muster Reflections Display held ahead of ceremony
Hilani Quinones, Assistant News Editor • April 18, 2024

Until April 21, visitors can view personal memorabilia from fallen Aggies who will be honored at the 2024 Muster Ceremony. The Aggie Muster...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Shanielle Veazie, Sports Writer • April 17, 2024

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday,...

The Highway 6 Band performs while listeners slow dance at The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
'Life is a Highway' (6 Band)
Amy Leigh Steward, Assistant Life & Arts Editor • April 17, 2024

It starts with a guitar riff. Justin Faldyn plays lead, pulling rock and blues out of the strings.  After a beat, comes the beat of the drums,...

Think your music taste somehow makes you different? Opinion writer Isabella Garcia says being unique is an illusion. (Photo by Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
Opinion: The myth of uniqueness
Isabella Garcia, Opinion Writer • April 16, 2024

You’re basic. It’s thought that the term “basic bitch” originated from a 2009 video of Lil Duval standing on a toilet in front of...

A&M pulls off comeback in must-win matchup against Tennessee

Photo by Chris Swann

Senior F Jazmine Wilkinson (21) kicks a goal during Texas A&M’s game against Alabama on Sunday, Oct. 8, 2023. The Aggies upset Alabama 3-1. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

In the penultimate game of the regular season, Texas A&M and Tennessee soccer put on a show in Rocky Top.
The Aggies defeated the Volunteers 4-3 behind a hat trick from senior forward Jazmine Wilkinson, picking up an important 3 points in the SEC and an important win for their NCAA Tournament hopes.
A&M’s victory was not made easy by the Orange and White. The Volunteers made that evident from the jump.
A little over four minutes into the game, the home side got the scoring started. Tennessee junior midfielder Jordan Fusco received a pass from sophomore midfielder Macaira Midgley outside the box before dribbling in and beating a diving senior goalkeeper Kenna Caldwell to her left.
Fusco’s fourth goal of the season had the Volunteers on top 1-0 and rolling early.
Despite this, the Aggies answered back quickly with a goal in the ninth minute. Just inside of the box on the right side, the Volunteers’ redshirt freshman goalie Abby Reisz attempted to corral a loose ball, turning her back and blocking Wilkinson from the ball.
However, Wilkinson managed to steal the ball from Reisz and get the ball outside the box before scoring the equalizing goal.
A&M took the lead in the 14th minute, scoring another highlight goal. Sophomore midfielder Sydney Becerra collected a pass from junior midfielder Mia Pante just outside the top of the box and beat a Tennessee defender before launching a shot that deflected under the crossbar and into the goal.
At the end of the half, the Aggies led 2-1 and were 45 minutes away from closing out an important late season road victory. Unfortunately for the Maroon and White, Fusco gave her team a second-half lift.
Only seven seconds into the second half, redshirt senior defender Maria Nelson crossed a ball into the box and Fusco deflected it with her left foot,beating Caldwell and tying the game at two.
In the 48th minute, Fusco completed her hat trick and put her team ahead 3-2, scoring on a low shot in the box off an assist from redshirt sophomore midfielder Jenna Stayart.
Tennessee led 3-2 for 30 minutes. However, Wilkinson equalized the match in the 77th minute after fighting for a bouncing ball with three defenders around her, scoring low left.
Only 48 seconds later, Wilkinson put her team ahead, finishing off her hat trick by heading in a cross from graduate forward Sammy Smith. Wilkinson’s third goal would be enough for the Aggies to finish the game on top and keep their hopes of an NCAA Tournament bid alive.
The Maroon and White came into the game at 47th in the RPI and hovering around the bubble of the tournament. A&M also avoided the possibility of falling below a .500 winning percentage.
With the loss, the Volunteers now have one last game to decide if they make it to the SEC Tournament. Sitting with 9 points in the SEC standings, Tennessee sits just barely on the edge of the final spot. It will face Vanderbilt in the final regular season game on Thursday, Oct. 26.
For the Aggies, their hopes of an SEC West crown, though not affected by the result on Sunday, will be on the line on Thursday as they travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to face LSU.