Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

A&M sailing team’s alumni regatta at Lake Bryan: A day of thrilling competition and camaraderie

Photo by Cameron Campbell
Texas A&M’s sailing team members dock their boats at midday on March 31 during the annual Alumni Regatta event at Lake Bryan.

On a partly cloudy day with winds gusting up to 15-20 miles per hour, the Texas A&M sailing team gathered for its annual Alumni Regatta at picturesque Lake Bryan on Saturday, March 31.

Around nine boats sailed by the sailing team members and alumni took to the water, creating an exhilarating atmosphere that blended competition, nostalgia and a shared passion for boats and sailing.

The annual event is a fundraiser for the sailing team, which started at A&M in 1968. The team has competed in five conference regattas so far this season.

Computer science senior and sailing team president Cole Broberg emphasized the unique intensity of racing when seasoned alumni return to compete.

“Having the older, more experienced sailors back adds an extra layer of excitement,” Cole remarked.

Former student Sarah Turner, Class of 2015, said she reveled in the event’s fun-filled spirit.

“We have won the last couple races, so I feel very optimistic,” Turner said.

Turner said her fondest memory harked back to her first Regatta as a student.

“I realized I was part of something greater than any other organization,” she said.

The camaraderie among former students, who patiently taught her the art of sailing, left a lasting impression. She added she won’t forget “Taco Tuesday” gatherings at Rosa’s.

Even after graduation, Turner said she maintains close ties with her sailing teammates and occasionally embarks on sailing adventures, like a memorable trip to Croatia last summer.

Spectator Taylor Knudsen said she was there to watch her boyfriend compete. Although not well-versed in sailing, Knudsen said she found the team’s dynamics fascinating. She observed how they huddled together with their boats and playfully tagged each other on the water. For Knudsen, safety and fun were paramount, and she said she reveled in the joyous atmosphere of the event.

Next up for the sailing team is the 2024 SailPack Oriental Intercollegiate regional competition, April 20-21, hosted by North Carolina State.

Cameron Campbell is a recreation, park and tourism sciences senior and contributed this article from JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.