Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

A&M sailing team’s alumni regatta at Lake Bryan: A day of thrilling competition and camaraderie

Photo by Cameron Campbell
Texas A&M’s sailing team members dock their boats at midday on March 31 during the annual Alumni Regatta event at Lake Bryan.

On a partly cloudy day with winds gusting up to 15-20 miles per hour, the Texas A&M sailing team gathered for its annual Alumni Regatta at picturesque Lake Bryan on Saturday, March 31.

Around nine boats sailed by the sailing team members and alumni took to the water, creating an exhilarating atmosphere that blended competition, nostalgia and a shared passion for boats and sailing.

The annual event is a fundraiser for the sailing team, which started at A&M in 1968. The team has competed in five conference regattas so far this season.

Computer science senior and sailing team president Cole Broberg emphasized the unique intensity of racing when seasoned alumni return to compete.

“Having the older, more experienced sailors back adds an extra layer of excitement,” Cole remarked.

Former student Sarah Turner, Class of 2015, said she reveled in the event’s fun-filled spirit.

“We have won the last couple races, so I feel very optimistic,” Turner said.

Turner said her fondest memory harked back to her first Regatta as a student.

“I realized I was part of something greater than any other organization,” she said.

The camaraderie among former students, who patiently taught her the art of sailing, left a lasting impression. She added she won’t forget “Taco Tuesday” gatherings at Rosa’s.

Even after graduation, Turner said she maintains close ties with her sailing teammates and occasionally embarks on sailing adventures, like a memorable trip to Croatia last summer.

Spectator Taylor Knudsen said she was there to watch her boyfriend compete. Although not well-versed in sailing, Knudsen said she found the team’s dynamics fascinating. She observed how they huddled together with their boats and playfully tagged each other on the water. For Knudsen, safety and fun were paramount, and she said she reveled in the joyous atmosphere of the event.

Next up for the sailing team is the 2024 SailPack Oriental Intercollegiate regional competition, April 20-21, hosted by North Carolina State.

Cameron Campbell is a recreation, park and tourism sciences senior and contributed this article from JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.