A&M soccer defeats Alabama to advance in SEC Tournament

Soccer
Soccer

The Texas A&M soccer team squared off against Alabama in the first round of the SEC Tournament in Orange Beach, AL with the Aggies coming out on top, 1-0, in double overtime.

Freshman Brittany Crabtree won the game for the Aggies in the 103rd minute during double overtime off a rebound. The Tide’s keeper Kat Stratton saved the initial shot from forward Haley Pounds and the rebound attempt from forward Emily Bates, Crabtree then scored on the final follow-up shot.

A&M is no stranger to postseason success —advancing in the SEC Tournament for the third-straight year and making the SEC tournament final the past two seasons. Tonight’s win was the sixth shutout win this year and the team’s fourth-straight — dating back to a 2-1victory over Kentucky in overtime on Oct. 20.

The Aggies redeemed themselves after losing to the Tide 2-1 earlier in the season on Sept. 6 in double overtime. The difference between tonight’s match and the early-season match was injuries.

The Maroon and White played the regular season matchup without junior Stephanie Malherbe, sophomore Emily Bates and senior Ashlynn Harryman. All three were in the starting lineup during the win and Bates had the assist that set up the game-winning goal.

A&M called on Stratton all night and she responded well. Stratton had 13 saves on the night on 26 shots from A&M, with 14 of those being on goal. Bates led the team in shots with three and senior keeper Danielle Rice had three saves for the match.

Head coach G Guerrieri and Alabama head coach Wes Hart exchanged words after an intense first overtime half. The exchange started after the two coaches met to discuss a play that happened earlier in the overtime period — cooler heads would prevail and no cards were given to either coach. Alabama finishes its season at 9-9-2, with a 4-6-2 SEC record.

Next on the tournament schedule for A&M is the South Carolina Gamecocks. The No. 2 Gamecocks come into the tournament with a bye and are undefeated on the season at 16-0-1 and hold an 11-0 SEC record.
The Aggies return to the pitch on Nov. 3 against South Carolina. Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. and will be broadcast on the SEC Network.