The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

A&M soccer wins double overtime thriller in Aggieland

Soccer
Photo By: Jena Floyd
Soccer

The No. 5 Texas A&M Aggie soccer team wrapped up non-conference play Sunday with a last minute 2-1 victory against North Texas in double overtime.

After the game looked destined for a 1-1 draw, A&M earned a free kick on the edge of the box with time winding down. Karlie Mueller stepped up and buried the shot in the right side of the net with 1:05 remaining to give the Aggies their ninth win of the season.

Texas A&M (9-1, 2-0 SEC) dominated the match out shooting North Texas 35-10 and had significantly more possession. The Aggies ended the Mean Green’s streak of five straight matches with a clean sheet and handed them their second loss of the season.

North Texas (8-1) suffered their first loss away from home after previously going 4-0. The team committed 23 fouls and made life hard for the Aggies. Karla Pineda had chances for North Texas and finished the match with four shots and the Mean Green’s assist to goal scorer Anna Flobeck.

Coach G Guerrieri discussed the physicality and the significance of the match after the game.

“I’m really pleased with the players because they fought through a team that was determined to not let us get any free space. When you come into a game and you play against a team that’s carded seven times you know that you’ve got a team that’s coming after you,” said Guerrieri. “I thought our players did a good job of keeping their head, keeping their wits about them and in the end the better team won.”

The Mean Green found the back of the net and took a 1-0 lead in the 46th minute. Midfielder Karla Pineda found Anna Flobeck in the box who put it past Saucier to give the Mean Green an unlikely goal against the run of play.

With 19 minutes remaining A&M tied things up at 1-1 after a goal from Janae Cousineau. Karli Mueller had a free kick on the edge of the area and drilled a low shot towards goal. The ball was saved and bounced around until Cousineau got a foot on it and poked it in.

Cousineau talked about the team’s determination in coming back and securing the victory.

“It was amazing, we worked our way up the first half we weren’t that strong we didn’t come out we weren’t getting possession and once the second half [came] our energy just sky rocketed,” said Cousineau. “Our team has great heart and we kept fighting and we didn’t give up. [With] five minutes left we still found a way to win and put it in the back of the net.”

Karla Pineda looked to have won it for the Mean Green with four minutes remaining. She found her way past two A&M defenders and had only the keeper to beat but she skied the ball over the post.

Mueller eventually scored the winner with a minute remaining to keep A&M undefeated at Ellis Field this season. The defender shared her thoughts on what was going through her mind as she stepped up to take the final free kick of the match.

“I just thought get it somewhere in the six [yard box] and hopefully it’ll hit off one of our players maybe if not one of theirs. I slung the ball into there and with the mix of everyone in there it’s so hard for a goalie to see where the ball is going. I had help with my teammates running across the goal really distracting the goalie and thank God it went in,” said Mueller.
The Aggies next match will be on Thursday as they resume SEC play against South Carolina. Kick-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. and the match can be seen on the SEC Network.

• Texas A&M Soccer

Photo By: Jena Floyd