A&M soccer wins SEC opener, Guerrieri captures 400th win

Photo by Kathryn Perez

Haley Pounds recorded a hat trick during the game against Abilene Christian on Sunday, September 6th. 

Coach G Guerrieri has now joined the 400 win club as the coach of Aggie soccer after No. 6 Texas A&M defeated No. 10 Florida 2-1 in the Aggies’ SEC opener.

A quick goal in the first half from Emily Bates and a second half goal from Stephanie Malherbe helped the Aggies defeat their rivals and leave Gainesville with a memorable victory for their head coach. Guerrieri now has a record of 400-122-29. He ranks fifth all time in the NCAA in victories and sixth in winning percentage.

The Aggies (6-1, 1-0 SEC) took an early lead thanks to Emily Bates finding the net in the 7th minute after Ashlynn Harryman launched a ball from midfield. The ball bounced once and Florida goalkeeper Val Tysinger ran to the edge of the box to punch out, but Bates reached it first and headed it over Tysinger into the open net. The Gator defense scrambled to clear it off the line but reached it too late.

In the 52nd minute Stephanie Malherbe gave the Aggies a two goal cushion. Ally Watt whipped in a cross and the ball fell to the feet of McKayla Paulson who fired a shot at Tysinger. Tysinger was able to get her hands on it but Malherbe smashed in the rebound to give the Aggies a 2-0 lead.

The Gators (5-2, 0-1 SEC) had their chances in the second half but were unable to get the better of Taylor Saucier. Savannah Jordan looked to have pull one back for the Gators in 70th minute, but a terrific save from Saucier helped the Aggies maintain their 2-0 lead. Jordan made a quick turnaround shot and Saucier found a way to push it wide.  

Jordan found the net for the 47th time as a Gator in the 77th minute after capitalizing on a mishandled cross by Saucier cutting the lead to 2-1.

During the remaining 13 minutes of the match Florida put on heavy pressure forcing saves out of Saucier but A&M found a way to protect the goal and make it a special night for Guerrieri.
The Aggies will now have two days of rest before they travel to Ohio to take on Dayton. Kick-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. Sunday.