A&M softball drops three-game series to Tennessee

The No. 22 Texas A&M softball team fell 5-3 in Sunday’s rubber game to the No. 4 Tennessee Volunteers at the Aggie Softball Complex; clinching a 2-1 SEC series win for the Lady Volunteers.
The Aggies were victorious in the first game of the series 4-1, and the Volunteers won the second game 15-2 in five innings by virtue of a run rule.
According to head coach Jo Evans, redshirt junior pitcher Rachel Fox struggled in the circle on Sunday. Fox allowed eight hits – five earned – and struck out five batters in her complete-game effort.
“[Rachel Fox] wasn’t as sharp today as she was Friday night,” Evans said. “She got the ball up a little bit. Actually, not on that particular pitch that they hit the home run. But I just felt like she wasn’t really as fine. She wasn’t as sharp in her accuracy in terms of location and spotting pitches. She didn’t work ahead as much on the hitters today. But it’s a tough situation when you get up there and throw a changeup and they hit the line drive over the wall.”
The Aggies (28-14, 9-9 SEC) had a quick turnaround after Saturday’s trouncing on Sunday with a noon start, but were unable to redeem the 13-run loss after jumping out to an early lead.
Senior Nicole Morgan started off the second inning offensively for the Aggies with a leadoff triple. With Morgan in scoring position, sophomore Breanna Dozier sliced a ball up the middle of the diamond to bring Morgan home and give A&M an early 1-0 lead.
“I was really pleased with the bottom of our order,” Evans said. “It was great to see Dozier get out there and get a big RBI. There were some really good things in that inning and I was pleased with that. Our bottom of the order – we just needed them to step up.”
Evans said the team missed a vital opportunity in the fifth inning.
“To me, the difference in the game is in the fifth inning, [the Lady Vols] were set up for a great opportunity and they made the most of it,” Evans said. “The kid hits a long ball, a timely hit, and they get three runs. We’re in the same situation right there in the next half-inning, and we don’t take advantage of it. Shame on us. We had our opportunity. It was a great opportunity for us. Jenna actually hit the ball hard, she just hit it right at the third baseman.”
Tennessee grabbed its first run in the top of the fourth and took a 4-3 advantage in the top of the fifth after a three-run shot by freshman Annie Aldrete.
Tennessee senior ace Ellen Renfroe would rebound from her Friday night loss to take the win for the Lady Vols, improving her record to 23-3.
Saturday marked the first time the Aggies fell by way of run rule after a 15-2 shellacking at the hands of the Lady Vols. Tennessee (35-6, 11-4 SEC) exploded with a school-record five homeruns and ended the game in the fifth inning.
Senior outfielder Cassie Tysarczyk was a bright spot for the Aggies all weekend, hitting a three-run homer on Friday to seal the sole win for the Aggies on the weekend. Junior Brittany Clopton was consistent in reaching base and setting the tone for the Aggies.
The Aggies continue play Wednesday against Sam Houston State in a mid-week match at the Aggie Softball Complex before No. 6 Florida comes to town for a three-game weekend slate on Friday. First pitch Wednesday is slotted for 6 p.m.