A&M softball ends fall with doubleheader sweep of SHSU

Softball+Recap
Photo by File
Softball Recap

The Texas A&M softball team concluded its fall season with a 9-0 and 4-0 doubleheader sweep against the Sam Houston State Bearkats on Sunday.
The Aggies and the Bearkats began the festivities with a noon first pitch time. Both teams had a slow first three innings, with A&M holding onto a 1-0 lead. The Aggie bats came alive in the fourth inning, putting up six runs in the fourth and two runs in the fifth to put away the Bearkats.
Senior right fielder Cali Lanphear led the Aggies with three RBIs on the day with freshman third baseman Riley Sartain on her heels with two RBI of her own. Starting pitcher Trinity Harrington allowed no runs, two hits and seven strikeouts from the circle.

The second game started out very similar, with both teams strong on the mound. Bearkat pitcher Tayler Atkinson and Aggie pitcher Samantha Show were in control of the batters early. Outside of an RBI single from Kaitlyn Alderink, Atkinson was effective — allowing four hits through three innings to Show’s one hit.

“I thought our pitchers were the star of the day,” A&M head coach Jo Evans said. “They went out and got ahead of hitters, their pitch counts were really low. No walks on the day, so I’m always happy about that. To throw two shutouts against a Division I team who I know is coming here to win — just really pleased with our performance.

Just like the first game, the Aggies put up a crooked number in the bottom of the fourth. A sac fly from Ashley Walters started the scoring run. That was quickly followed up by an errant throw from Bearkat catcher Samantha Belongia on a stolen base attempt by Breanna Dozier. Sophomore Kristen Cuyos strolled home from third as the ball rolled into center field. An RBI single from Tori Vidales concluded the three-run fourth.

Eight of the nine starters for the second game of the doubleheader were either freshmen or sophomores. With all of the young talent, coach Evans’ said the future of Aggie softball looks bright.
“I’m really excited about our future,” Evans said. “It’s an opportunity for us to build for the future without taking any steps back.”
The Aggies will play their annual Maroon and White scrimmages beginning tomorrow and spanning through Wednesday. First pitch is at 3:30 p.m.