A&M softball falls short against No. 15 LSU, 2-0

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Senior Trinity Harrington pitched a complete game, only giving up one walk and four hits.

The No. 9 Texas A&M (36-11, 9-7 SEC) softball team looked to get back on track when traveling to Tiger Park on Friday evening for the series opener, however they came up short to No. 15 LSU (34-10, 8-7 SEC), 2-0.
A&M’s senior Trinity Harrington was quick to give up a pair of singles to Taryn Antoine and Amanda Doyle, which would result in a run from Antoine in the bottom of the first.
LSU’s Emily Griggs started things back up in the fifth for the Tigers with a single to center field and Doyle followed with a double to force Griggs to third. Shemiah Sanchez would then bring Griggs home on a sacrifice fly for the second and final run of the game.
While falling behind early, A&M Head Coach Jo Evans was less than satisfied with the team’s ability to adapt from the early mishaps that would eventually cost them and decide the result of the game.
“I thought at the plate we needed to make adjustments sooner. Once you get through the order one time, you know what to expect. We kept getting beat inside,” Evans said. I thought Keeli had great at bats all night and got herself a couple of hits. She goes up there in the sixth and gets us a hit, and Sarah Hudek got us a hit.”

A&M junior Keeli Milligan and sophomore Sarah Hudek both had successful days at the plate while also generating the strongest scoring opportunities for the Aggies.
Milligan led off the top of the sixth with a single and moved on to third with Hudek’s single that extended her hitting streak to 10. Hudek would then advance to second on the throw to join Milligan in scoring position with no outs. Carley Hoover managed to end the inning while benefitting from a ground out and a couple of fly outs.
The Aggies have an opportunity to level the series on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Tiger Park in the second of three games against the LSU.