A&M softball pummels Razorbacks to complete sweep

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Freshman outfielder Keeli Milligan stole three more bases this weekend to push her nation-leading total to 42.

The No. 11 Texas A&M softball team swept the Arkansas Razorbacks this weekend in dramatic fashion, triggering the run-rule in all three contests to improve its record to 30-6 (5-4 SEC).

The Aggies got three much-needed conference victories after being swept last weekend by Georgia. A&M won the three games by scores of 11-3, 9-1, and 9-1.

The Aggie hitters dominated the weekend, scoring 29 total runs on 27 hits. The hot hitting was welcomed with open arms after the Aggies scored just seven total runs in their last series against Georgia.

“I’m really pleased with our attitude and in our perspective that we came back with [after the Georgia series],” Coach Jo Evans said. “That’s all anybody wants to talk about — ‘what about the three losses,’ ‘what about the sweep at Georgia,’ and for us to go out here today and just get after it and play the game the way we know how to play and not panic was great.”

Sophomore Ashley Walters led the offensive onslaught for Texas A&M as she racked up seven hits in 10 at bats, adding 10 RBI, six of which came in game three, and a home run as well. Walters raised her batting average to .340 with four home runs and 37 RBIs on the year.

“[Walters] looked great out there,” Coach Evans said. “I talk about this a lot with her, but she’s such a competitor, she’s a real tough out, she kind of goes under the radar with our ball club. She just gets her job done, she’s just a blue-collar, hard-working kid, and I couldn’t be more excited for her.”

Freshman Samantha Show continues to be the ace in the circle for the Aggies. She threw 11 total innings, adding 16 strikeouts and giving up just four runs in the series.

“I’m most proud of Sam Show,” Coach Evans said. “She came out and cut down her walks. She only had two walks on the day. For her to go out there and have command of her changeup, I thought that was the big difference maker today, and also for her to keep the ball down in the zone and attack the zone, and you can see how dangerous she can be when she gets ahead in the count.”
The Aggies will be back in action on Wednesday as they take on Stephen F. Austin at the Aggie Softball Complex. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.