A&M softball shifts focus to next pair of opponents

The Texas A&M softball team will continue its fall season with a visit from Tyler JC on Tuesday and McLennan College on Wednesday at the Aggie Softball Complex.

The Aggies have put up four consecutive double-digit scoring outputs this fall and will be looking to continue their impressive scoring run. One thing that the Aggies can look to improve on was the slow start against Temple College last Wednesday, where Lexi Smith held the potent Aggie offense to two runs in the first five innings. Sophomore Tori Vidales said the offense needs to make timely adjustments throughout the game.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily important to start off fast, it’s just making adjustments,” Vidales said. “Whether that be in the beginning of the game or the middle of the game, it’s important to find those adjustments and make them. I don’t think quickness defines adjustments.”

One of the most successful community college programs in the country with 49 national championships, Tyler holds a pedigree of producing winners at the community college level. Head coach Jo Evans said getting Tyler along with McLennan to play them helps their ball club.

“We’ve played them the last few years and they’re both well coached,” Evans said. “I like to play any school that wants to play us. The fact that they want to play us and get after it means that we’re going to have an opponent that’s looking to challenge us and that’s what we want.”

One starting pitcher that has been lights out for the Aggies is sophomore Trinity Harrington. A transfer from Colorado State, Harrington has seized her opportunity to make an impact on the Aggie pitching staff. Senior Cali Lanphear has noticed the kind of impact that Harrington could have on the pitching staff come spring time.

“The thing that I love about Trinity is that all of her stuff is down,” Lanphear said. “In the SEC, she may not be a huge strikeout pitcher but she’s going to make outs and produce a lot of ground balls for us. I’m really excited for her and our whole pitching staff.”

First pitch on Tuesday and Wednesday is scheduled for 5 p.m.