A&M softball splits doubleheader, drops series to Auburn

The No. 23 Texas A&M softball team split its doubleheader against the Auburn Tigers Saturday in a day that featured three separate rain delays. 
After falling 8-1 to the Tigers (40-6, 12-3 SEC) in the first game of the weekend, the Aggies entered Saturday on a mission. 
Heading to the third inning of the first game, the Tigers held the lead, 2-1, but it did not last long. Tori Vidales got the inning started for the Aggies (32-12, 8-7 SEC) when she knocked one out of the park, bringing Ryan home with her. 
From that point on it was all Aggies as they went on to tally 10 runs in the third anchored by two Tori Vidales home runs. Along with Vidales, Breanna Dozier, April Ryan and Cali Lanphear also recorded hits in the inning.
A&M added one more run in the fourth inning, courtesy of Dozier, which all but sealed the first victory of the weekend for the team. A&M headed into the second game of the day with a 12-4 win after playing just five innings. 
The momentum for the Aggies, and especially for Vidales, carried over into the second game of the doubleheader Saturday. The freshman hit her third home run of the day, this time being a two-run shot. 
At the conclusion of the third inning A&M held a 3-1 lead, but the game was put on pause due to inclement weather and did not resume for nearly an hour and a half. 
It was Auburn that seemed to benefit from the break in play as they had a three-run fourth inning that helped them regain the lead with a score of 4-3.  
In the bottom of the fifth, Brittany Clopton hit a single that, due to an Auburn error, led to her rounding the bases to cut the Tiger lead to two runs. Following Clopton’s score, the game entered its second rain delay and did not pick back up for another 45 minutes. 
Once again, Auburn came back from the delay with hot bats. The Tigers scored two runs on a homer from Branndi Melero and did not slow down. The next time Melero took the plate the bases were loaded and she hit a grand slam shot that extended the Auburn lead to eight, 12-4.
The eight-run deficit was too much for A&M to recover in the final inning as it fell to the Tigers for the second time on the weekend, 12-4, and dropped the conference series. 
The Aggies will return to action at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday when they host Lamar.