A&M softball sweeps South Carolina in home conference series

Provided by Texas A&M Athletics

Freshman infielder Erica Russell makes a diving catch Sunday during the doubleheader sweep of South Carolina.

The Texas A&M softball team swept South Carolina in a home doubleheader Sunday that included walkoff home run heroics.
The two games were originally scheduled to be played on separate days, but the weather once again intervened on the course of spring play in College Station.
South Carolina (21-12, 2-7 SEC) came out in the first game of the day on fire, scoring two runs in its first five at-bats.
In the fifth inning the Aggies (24-7, 6-3 SEC) had a two-run period of their own that tied the score up at three apiece. An RBI from Kristen Cuyos brought Alex Masek home to score the Aggies’ second run. Then, following a wild pitch, it was Brittany Clopton who scored the equalizer for A&M.
With a scoreless outing by both teams in the next three half-innings, the stage was set for A&M to do the rally caps justice and end the game without extra innings. Dozier approached the plate with two outs, reared back and killed the first pitch thrown to her, hitting a walk off home run to seal the second consecutive come-from-behind victory for the Aggies, 4-3.
Momentum proved to work in A&M’s favor in the second game. After a Tori Vidales homer in the first, a three-run third inning gave the Aggies a 4-0 lead. Ashley Walters hit a two-RBI double in the third that allowed A&M to extend its lead even further.
The Gamecocks offered an answer with a two-run homer in the fourth inning, but it wasn’t enough to challenge the Aggie lead.
Rachel Fox entered in the fifth inning and closed the game out for the Aggies from the mound. Fox managed to only give up two hits and had no earned runs as she led A&M to a 5-2 win that improved the A&M win total to 24.
A&M will travel to Tuscaloosa next weekend to play a conference series against Alabama.