A&M softball tops Stephen F. Austin

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett
Softball vs. SFA

After carrying a 4-0 sweep in the Aggie Invitational, No. 6 Texas A&M softball team continued their undefeated season after topping the Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks 4-0 on Wednesday at the Aggie Softball Complex. 
Head coach, Jo Evans said that she was glad to get the win tonight and liked seeing her team have control of the game all throughout. 
“It’s good for us to come out and we want wins. Obviously wins are important.” Evans said. “We came out tonight and I thought we had total command of the game, which you want to see out of your team. I like that our kids are mature about the way they play the game.”
Opening the game wide open in the first inning, senior pitcher, Trinity Harrington pitched a 1-2-3 inning stopping the Ladyjacks early on. While on offense the Aggies got ahead by two runs after Tori Vidales singled to left field and brought in Keeli Milligan, while Riley Sartain hit a fly out to right field allowing Kaitlyn Alderink to come home.  
In the second, senior, Erica Russell hit deep to left field almost warranting a home run, but couldn’t get it quite over the wall. She would later be the only one to score in this inning. In the bottom of the third, Vidales, Ashley Walters, and Sartain forced a bases loaded situation, putting them in a good spot to advance their lead. 
However, with each passing hitter, SFA stopped the Aggie on third from advancing to home. This pattern continued until Samantha Show hit to left field and it was caught by SFA’s Madison Selman, ending the third and forcing a big stop for the Ladyjacks. 
Senior first baseman, Tori Vidales commented on her successful hitting in this game, after finishing with two RBI’s and a batting average of .562, saying that she just trusting her approach and trying to get the ball up. 
“Trusting in my approach and not trying to do too much. Really not thinking about anything other than scoring the ball up. Even if I don’t square it up, I know that I’m right on it or just missing it so good things will happen.” Vidales said. 
In the fourth inning SFA ran away with another big stop when Russell was caught trying to stealing to third from second. However, A&M was able to add one more run to their score, making the game now 4-0. 
At the top of the fifth inning, Margarita Corona from the Ladyjacks was the first to get on a base after a fielding error by Vidales. Despite allowing players to get on base for the first time in the game, the Aggies were able to stop the Ladyjacks for scoring in the inning. 
The game was secured at this point in favor of the Aggies. Neither team scored in the fifth or sixth inning. Harrington continued her dominance throughout and closed the game in the top of the seventh. 
A&M pitcher Trinity Harrington allowed no hits against SFA until the fifth inning and lead the Aggies to a 4-0 win. Harrington thought her performance tonight was great and a step up from the last time she was on the mound due to her being able to settle down. 
“It was great. It was a lot better than my first performance, but first game jitters always happen to the best of us. You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t get butterflies in your stomach for that first game.” Harrington said. “Being able to settle down and get the performance I had tonight was great for this upcoming weekend.”
The Aggies will play again on Friday and face the Butler Bulldogs. The first pitch is set to start at 3 p.m. at the Aggie Softball Complex.A&