Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

A&M softball wins both games in doubleheader Saturday

The Texas A&M softball team defeated UC Santa Barbara 7-0 at 11:30 a.m. Saturday and Cal State Fullerton 2-1 shortly after in a doubleheader second day of the Mary Nutter Classic.
A&M (10-4) fed off of the momentum from their Friday 8-5 win over BYU and posted four first inning runs against the UCSB Gauchos (3-11). Cali Lanphear got things going with a triple that brought in teammates Reagan Boenker and April Ryan.
Freshman Tori Vidales knocked one out of the park in the top of the fourth that brought home Brittany Clopton and put the Aggies ahead 7-0. The score would stay for the remainder of the game.
The first action against Cal State Fullerton (7-6), in the second game, came in the bottom of the second inning when Lanphear homered to center field and put the Aggies ahead, 1-0.
The bases were loaded for the majority of the 6th inning for the Titans, but the Aggies escaped with only handing over one run, evening the game at 1-1.
In the bottom of the sixth Alex Masek went to steal second and after a throwing error committed by the Titans, found herself reaching home plate to give the Aggies the advantage once again, 2-1.
A&M held on in the 7th inning to secure its third straight win of the weekend.
The Aggies will return to action Sunday when they take on their second double header of the weekend to face Syracuse and Stanford. First pitch is at 11 a.m.