A&M softball wins series finale against No. 1 Florida

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun

Sophomore pitcher Kayla Ober delivers a pitch Saturday against Florida.

No. 18 Texas A&M softball took on No. 1 Florida in a three-game series over the weekend, losing the first two games before bouncing back to take the series finale on Senior Day.

On Friday night, the Gators (47-4, 17-4 SEC) beat the Aggies (35-16, 7-14 SEC) in six-innings. Florida took an early lead in the second inning by way of throwing an error, before scoring three in the third. Janell Wheaton of Florida drove in two runs with an RBI double followed by an RBI single by her teammate Taylor Fuller.

The Aggies scored twice in the fourth to cut the 4-0 lead in half, and trailed by one in the fifth, before Florida pulled away. In the sixth inning, the Gators scored 10 runs on five hits, with a grand slam to cap it off.

Samantha Show was handed the loss putting her at 21-9 on the season, while giving up eight runs on eight hits.

On Saturday, the Aggies lost 7-3, with Florida opening the scoring in the third, followed by three runs in the fourth inning. The Gators tallied another two runs in the top frame of the sixth, before A&M cut the lead in half with a solo homer from sophomore Tori Vidales, and a two-run shot from sophomore Kristen Cuyos. Florida plated their final run with a solo homer in the top of the seventh.

Sophomore Trinity Harrington was the losing pitcher on Saturday, tossing 4⅓ innings while giving up five hits and four runs.

Sunday saw the Aggies win 6-4, and Florida take an early lead with a bases-loaded RBI groundout. The Aggies responded in the bottom of the third by plating two runs and jumping out to the lead with a solo shot from freshman Kaitlyn Alderink and an RBI single from freshman Riley Sartain.

The Gators tied the game in the next frame and the score didn’t change until the Aggies broke the game open with a four-run inning in the sixth.

In the sixth inning, a couple of wild pitches saw three Aggies cross the plate and an RBI single by sophomore Erica Russell finished off the scoring. Florida threatened in the top of the seventh, scoring twice before freshman Samantha Show recorded the save.

Sunday’s starter, Harrington, kept her team in the game by throwing six-innings and pitching around baserunners. She gave up four runs on eight hits, the final two runs in the sixth, before handing the ball off to the bullpen.

“I think what worked well for me was just letting the other team hit the ball, make contact and let my defense work,” Harrington said. “If they got a good hit off one of my pitches, they got a good hit. I couldnt worry about it.”

Sunday’s win marks the first time since the 2008 College World Series semifinals against the Gators, that A&M has beaten the No. 1 ranked team in the country.

“It’s a big confidence booster for us,” head coach Jo Evans said. “It’s a great win for us going into postseason in terms of selection, and how they view us as a ballclub.”

The team returns to action Friday on the road at No. 3 Auburn with first pitch scheduled for 6 p.m. Friday and Sunday’s games will be on SEC Network + and Saturday’s game will be broadcast on ESPN.