A&M standouts Braden Shewmake and John Doxakis picked in first day of MLB Draft

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Junior Braden Shewmake has started in all 28 games this season.

Texas A&M shortstop Braden Shewmake and left-handed pitcher John Doxakis were drafted in the first two rounds of the MLB Draft on Monday in Secaucus, New Jersey.
Shewmake was drafted by the Atlanta Braves at 21st, with a projected pick value of $3.13 million according to MLB.com. The junior ended the season with the highest batting average for the Aggies with .313, and also posted a .474 slugging average along with a .848 on-base percentage. He started every game of the 2019 season for A&M.
The Wylie, Texas, product was an All-American and Freshman All-American in 2017 with A&M, where he was also named a two-time All-SEC player. Shewmake was also named a National Freshman of the Year and SEC Freshman of the Year. He maintained a .321 batting average during his time in College Station.
“Braden Shewmake is [a shortstop] you want to keep an eye on,” MLB Network’s Carlos Pena said. “He’s got a very nice swing, incredible hand-eye coordination [and] barrel-to-baseball skill.”
Doxakis was drafted with the 61st pick of the draft by the Tampa Bay Rays, with a projected pick value of $1.13 million. The lefty played as the Friday night starter for A&M, where he led the pitching staff with a 2.03 ERA. In 104.2 total innings pitched, Doxakis threw 115 strikeouts while allowing only 26 walks.
The Houston, Texas, native made a significant contribution for the Aggies from the mound, playing in 55 contest with 34 starts, recording a 3.01 ERA through three seasons. The lefty held opposing batters to a .220 batting average and totaled 231 strikeouts as well.
In addition to the two players on the roster, three 2019 A&M commits were also drafted on the first day of the draft.
Right-handed pitcher J.J. Goss was selected by the Tampa Bay Rays 36th overall in the Competitive Balance Round A. Goss was joined by high school teammate Matthew Thompson with the 45th overall pick by the Chicago White Sox in the second round. Both players were projected to go in the first day of the draft. The Cypress Ranch High School prospects have projected pick values of $2.05 million and $1.65 million, respectively.
Joining Goss and Thompson is right-handed pitcher Josh Wolf out of St. Thomas High School in Houston, who was picked by the New York Mets with the 53rd overall pick in the second round. His projected pick value is $1.37 million.
Each draft pick will have until August 15 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time to either sign with their respective clubs or continue as a member on the A&M roster.

• Junior John Doxakis yells to a teammate during the game against Missouri on March 29 at Olsen Field.

Photo by Cassie Stricker