A&M Suffers Bittersweet Ending to Otherwise Remarkable Season

Marijosse Navarro’s final round of +4 (76)  on Memorial Day wrapped up the sophomore golfer’s showing at the NCAA Championship in Bradenton, Florida, in a tie for 21st place, individually, and effectively concluded the Texas A&M women’s golf team’s 2014-15 campaign.
The No.11 Aggies had been cut, as a team, from the NCAA Championship at the par 72 Concession Golf Club after three rounds of action in which they fell short of being one of the top 15 teams in competition to advance to Monday’s final stroke play round.
A&M fired rounds of +21 (309), +24(312), and +24 (312) to post an ultimate score of +69 (933), which proved to be three strokes shy of forcing a tie with UCLA for the 15th and final spot eligible to move onward in the chase for the Championship.
A&M had been in 14th place heading into third round action, but finished in sole possession of 18th. This marks the sixth top 18 finish for the A&M program in the past eight years under head coach Trelle McCombs.
The remaining fifteen teams competed in a final round of stroke play on Monday to cut down the field to eight. From here on out, match play format will be utilized to determine the NCAA team champion.
Though the Aggies, as a team, did not achieve an opportunity to advance forward, sophomore golfer Marijosse Navarro did, as an individual, receive such an opportunity to compete in the final stroke play round which would be used to determine the individual NCAA Champion.
Navarro clinched her way into Monday’s final round after placing as one of the top nine players from a non-advancing team after three rounds of stroke play.
Navarro carded rounds of +5 (77), +2 (74) and +1(73) en route to clinching herself a spot in the final round of stroke play. Her final round of +4 (76) brought her total four round score to +12 (300) and in a four way tie for 21st place.
Emma Talley, from the University of Alabama, won individual medalist honors at the Championship after posting a four round score of -3 (285).
Despite failing to achieve their ultimate goal, the 2014-15 A&M squad was nothing short of remarkable this season as they notched three tournament victories. One of those  tournament wins came at the Southeastern Conference Championship. In addition to the tournament wins, the team recorded five of the six lowest team rounds in school history and set new records for scoring average (72.58), birdies (528), and par or better rounds (13).
Further, the Aggies boasted three of the top 100 golfers in the country in Marijosse Navarro (No. 16), Maddie Szeryk (No. 21) and Bianca Fabrizio (No. 86).
But perhaps the most exciting detail of this year’s group persists in being that seven of eight golfers are underclassmen. This includes Navarro and Fabrizio, who are up and coming juniors, and Szeryk, who will be a sophomore when the 2015-16 campaign tees off next Fall.